Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
johndrydenjr
Visitor
Visitor

Unusual Problem with ISE Project Navigator

Jump to solution

Hi, I'm new to the ISE Proj Navigator, and I'm having a problem that is making working with a BASYS2 FPGA board very frustrating.  I'm trying to establish that the eval board is working correctly (so that I don't have to return it).  I've tried entering small schematics/programs in new projects and then loading resulting bit programs through Adept.  But, the board doesn't seem to respond correctly, if at all.  So my next step is to load already designed projects; but, the Open Project function causes the Project Navigator to disappear completely in Windows8.  It doesn't show up as a process in the task manager.  It is gone!  I've tried this several times.  I had a similar issue with the license config manager, not realizing that the program was simply closing out.  I had to type in the path to the license in the config manager to get ISE to work.  Is this a common problem with this Xilinx software, or is this a Windows 8 problem.  I don't see any way to change compatibility settings for the Proj Nav in Windows 8, I think because it appears to be instantiated by a batch file.  Is there a fix for this, or is there some other means of introducing an already existing project into the navigator?  Any and all thoughts would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
nachum
Observer
Observer

Hi John,

This is a problem that plagues a lot of people on Windows 8 x64. Renaming some dlls solves the problem for ISE and Impact. Please see a previous post of mine:

http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Installation-and-Licensing/Windows-8/m-p/321185#M4507

Nachum

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
bassman59
Historian
Historian

@johndrydenjr wrote:

Hi, I'm new to the ISE Proj Navigator, and I'm having a problem that is making working with a BASYS2 FPGA board very frustrating.  I'm trying to establish that the eval board is working correctly (so that I don't have to return it).  I've tried entering small schematics/programs in new projects and then loading resulting bit programs through Adept.  But, the board doesn't seem to respond correctly, if at all.  So my next step is to load already designed projects; but, the Open Project function causes the Project Navigator to disappear completely in Windows8.  It doesn't show up as a process in the task manager.  It is gone!  I've tried this several times.  I had a similar issue with the license config manager, not realizing that the program was simply closing out.  I had to type in the path to the license in the config manager to get ISE to work.  Is this a common problem with this Xilinx software, or is this a Windows 8 problem.  I don't see any way to change compatibility settings for the Proj Nav in Windows 8, I think because it appears to be instantiated by a batch file.  Is there a fix for this, or is there some other means of introducing an already existing project into the navigator?  Any and all thoughts would be appreciated.

Windows 8 is not a supported operating system.

----------------------------Yes, I do this for a living.
0 Kudos
johndrydenjr
Visitor
Visitor

Is it possible, then, to install the software on Windows 7 or a Linux distro and use the same license file that was emailed to me?  (In using the same license, I mean copying it to the new machine with the Win 7 OS.)

0 Kudos
nachum
Observer
Observer

Hi John,

This is a problem that plagues a lot of people on Windows 8 x64. Renaming some dlls solves the problem for ISE and Impact. Please see a previous post of mine:

http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Installation-and-Licensing/Windows-8/m-p/321185#M4507

Nachum

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
johndrydenjr
Visitor
Visitor

Nachum, Thanks much!!!  This fixed it!

0 Kudos