Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hupaa
Explorer
Explorer

VHDL statemachine

Jump to solution

Hello,

I' ve a question about signal assignment in a case in vhdl.

In my code, there is a signal called "CONTROL"

signal CONTROL : std_logic := '0';

I've a statemachine with 10 states. in state 2 I have this assignment (CONTROL <= '1';).

and in state 9 again I have this assignment (CONTROL <= '0')

and there is no change on this signal between these two states.

In simulation every thing is OK. CONTROL signal in state2  will be '1' and  stay '1' until state 9. and then will be '0'. But in chipscope CONTROL signal can stay '1' just for one clock sycle! It means in state 3 it has the '0' value while I didn't write any change on this signal up to state 9!

Could you please guide me

Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
anshpmrl
Adventurer
Adventurer

Hi Hupaa,

1. Does the signal assignment CONTROL <= '0' in state machine  combinational or registerd ?
  2. If it is combinational, you need to assign values to CONTROL  in all 10  states.Unless it will infer a latch,which is not a good coding practise(may introduce glitches in hardware).
  3. If it is registered ,it maynot create any problem in implementation(which infer FFs).
  4. Also it would be better if you add when others => clause and necessary signal assignments under the same to bring back the state machine from unpredictable states.

Thanks,

Akshay

View solution in original post

4 Replies
yashp
Hello,

When you mentioned simulation is this Behavioral simulation?
If yes, Please check post-synthesis and post-implementation simulation results.

Then you will see where is the difference occurs during synthesis or implementation.

Thanks,
Yash
0 Kudos
anshpmrl
Adventurer
Adventurer

Hi Hupaa,

1. Does the signal assignment CONTROL <= '0' in state machine  combinational or registerd ?
  2. If it is combinational, you need to assign values to CONTROL  in all 10  states.Unless it will infer a latch,which is not a good coding practise(may introduce glitches in hardware).
  3. If it is registered ,it maynot create any problem in implementation(which infer FFs).
  4. Also it would be better if you add when others => clause and necessary signal assignments under the same to bring back the state machine from unpredictable states.

Thanks,

Akshay

View solution in original post

anusheel

Hello,

To debug this problem you should use respective simulation options.

There are possibilities that your design passes in one simulation and fails in later stage.

Compare the differences between the results and find out the root cause then correct your design accordingly.

In case you need more help, upload your design file or test case.

Thanks,

Anusheel

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post as an answer "Accept as solution" in case it helped to resolve your query.
Give kudos for accepted solution.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos
hupaa
Explorer
Explorer

Hello,

Thank you very much for your guidance.

Regards

0 Kudos