Observer

VIrtex 7 485T readback using ICAP

Hi,

I have  a basic simple_counter example

module top(clk, out, reset);
///some basic definitions here
reg [31:0] count;

//always block
always @ (posedge clk0 or posedge reset0)
begin
//do not use reset as of now
if(reset0) begin
count <= 3'b000;
end else begin
count <= count + 1;
end

end

endmodule

I can run this design on my V7485 board and see the 4 bits of count variable on LEDs.

I want to use this simple design to test out readback functionality using ICAPE2 primitive

I have few basic queries regarding this:

1. Does readback using ICAP allows reading values from LUTRAM or LUT implemented as Shift Register? Or can we only readback configuration registers?

2. How should I modify my verilog code to include this ICAPE2 primitive in my design and connect it with AXI?

3. How do we send instructions to ICAP using AXI interface from my PC host? Do we use JTAG to send commands or any other cable/driver is used? Can we do it without JTAG?

4.  Is there any example with working steps that I can use to test out readback using ICAP? How do I specify the path where readback data has to be saved?

Thanks for answering these basic queries.

Rgds

Sapan

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
sampatd
Scholar
Scholar

0 Kudos
sapan533
Observer
Observer

@sampatd

I have created a sample design with one axi master which is connected to the AXI4_HWICAP xilinx IP. 

Now the problem is of performing readback operation. I am using a third party board which has 2 V7485T fpgas on it. They have also provided apis to perform read/write on this axi master. 

Based on this, I want to understand how should I go with readback steps:

1. I can write 0x2 to the CTRL register of ICAP using axi_write api that I have 

2. This will initiate read from FPGA . Please correct me if I am wrong. And I assume the data will be stored in HW ICAP FIFO 

3. OR this data will be continuosly sent back to axi master .

4. From where my application should read the data and store in file? 

These are very basic queries actually . The problem is to understand where the data goes from ICAP and how can we get it on disk

Rgds

Sapan

Tags (2)
0 Kudos