Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
fadi

help - how to start learning fpga????

Jump to solution

hi every one 

I'm just started learn on fpga 

please can any one lead me to the right way how i can start learning on fpga by videos or books 

i don't have any idea how to begin 

thank you all 

best regards 

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Robiwan3
Observer
Observer

I have created a youtube video that implements "hello world" on an Avnet minized board using Vivado 2020. It assumes you have both Vivado and Vitis installed. You don't have to have an Avnet minized board, it should work with any dev/demo board with a Zynq device. If you can replicate what the video does, you will have verified your Vivado, and Vitis installation. You will also have a basic understanding of the flow of an FPGA design. 

View solution in original post

Tags (1)
3 Replies
ProfRob
Visitor
Visitor

The capabilities of modern FPGAs are so huge and development tools are accordingly sophisticated, that you are somehow lost in a jungle when you start to learn.

I have read several books about it and found, that it is not satisfying without practical tests. So I started again with researching the IDEs of the different suppliers on some predefined requirements. And now I am here at Xilinx and trying to program a development board.

My first step is to install an IDE and try to use it.

And of course I make mistakes. The first mistake seems to be to install VITIS instead of VIVADO, though Vivado should be contained in Vitis. But I did not find examples for using Vitis for my development board. Now I am installing VIVADO (it takes more than an hour) and I hope to have some success.

0 Kudos
Robiwan3
Observer
Observer

I have created a youtube video that implements "hello world" on an Avnet minized board using Vivado 2020. It assumes you have both Vivado and Vitis installed. You don't have to have an Avnet minized board, it should work with any dev/demo board with a Zynq device. If you can replicate what the video does, you will have verified your Vivado, and Vitis installation. You will also have a basic understanding of the flow of an FPGA design. 

View solution in original post

Tags (1)
Robiwan3
Observer
Observer

Forgot the link to the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mb-cStd4Tqs

Walk through of creation of Hello World using Avnet minized board, Xilinx Zynq, Vivado 2020, and Vitis.
0 Kudos