UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Adventurer
Adventurer

mac address of FPGA board for spartan 3AN board

hi ,,,

im sankula sivasankar im working in ethernet part,,i have spartan 3AN board to use teh ethernet lan 8700 i need MAC address

i have seen there is no sticker pasted on FPGA board,,, so how do i getthe mac address of board ,,

pleasehelp me with links of how to get MAC address,,,and also ethernet interfacing code in VHDL/verilog  for better understanding ,,

thank  u guys for helping  me  ,,,,

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer

Re: mac address of FPGA board for spartan 3AN board

Hi,

I don't know exaclty which board you have, but normally in the boards what you have is a PHY chip to interface with an Ethernet-based network, but this is a physycal layer component . MAC (Media Access Control) protocol belongs to layer 2. This means that the board just provides you the physical components for conecting, but the MAC address will depend on your implementation.

For instance, if you implement a processor in EDK, the driver of the Ethernet peripheral will allow you to select it.

I mean, in the board you don't have any ethernet card, just the most basic layer 1 component: the PHY. You will have to implement your "Ethernet card" and set then your MAC address.

Regards,

Ignacio.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi

How are you connecting your board and testing?

If this is a direct board to board or system to board connection they you can use any MAC address and use it for the communication.

Regards,

Satish

--------------------------------------------------​--------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful.
--------------------------------------------------​-------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

hai thanks for replying,,,,,,,,,

im using and RTL code in which i need to communicate the MAC addresss,,, not from embedded proceessor of microblaze,

its an pure RTL code ,,,if u want the code to share i will share it ,,,,,,

0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

hai,,,

im connecting pc to board ,,,,

in the rtl code i have to mention the details of destination and source IP and MAC details ,,,,

and also im using rj-45 cable to connect on fpga board the LED of connecting is not on ,,,,

what can i do with these problem,,,,,

can u share u contact details,,im waiting for ur suggestion to proceesed,,,,

or call me to 9677845464

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi

In this case you can assign any 6byte source and destination address and you should be able to see the packets in the wireshark.

Regards,

Satish

--------------------------------------------------​--------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

--------------------------------------------------​-------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

hai,, i have tried for that also,,,but the LED @  RJ 45 cable is not blinking ,, and that to if i dump code on FPGA its no response in wireshrink,,,,,

im writing a pure  RTLbased code ,,,not with any embedded microblaze application,,,,so please give me any suggestions.....

so im waiting for u reply guys

im attaching  my code also please go through it,,,,,,

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi

Can  you try the example design genrated with the core?

Regards,

Satish

0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

please provide any reference design for my board spartan 3AN series ...

from which may i can get  my MAC id for spartan board ...

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

The Spartan-3AN boards did not ship with a defined MAC address either in the form of a sticker on the board or a EEPROM.  You just need to make one up from randaom for your testing.

------Have you tried typing your question into Google? If not you should before posting.
Too many results? Try adding site:www.xilinx.com
0 Kudos