UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

Adam Taylor’s MicroZed Chronicles, Part 229: Tips & Techniques for Better Image Processing

by Xilinx Employee on ‎12-18-2017 10:10 AM (84,010 Views)

By Adam Taylor

For the final MicroZed Chronicles blog of the year, I thought I would wrap up with several tips to help when you are creating embedded-vision systems based on Zynq SoC, Zynq UltraScale+ MPSoC, and Xilinx FPGA devices.

Note: These tips and more will be part of Adam Taylor’s presentation at the Xilinx Developer Forum that will be held in Frankfurt, Germany on January 9.

Image1.jpg 

1. Design in Flexibility from the Beginning

Image2.jpg

Video Timing Controller used to detect the incoming video standard

Use the flexibility provided by the Video Timing Controller (VTC) and reconfigurable clocking architectures such as Fabric Clocks, MMCM, and PLLs.  Using the VTC and associated software running on the PS (processor system) in the Zynq SoC and Zynq UltraScale+ MPSoC, it is possible to detect different video standards from an input signal at run time and to configure the processing and output video timing accordingly. Upon detection of a new video standard, the software running on the PS can configure new clock frequencies for the pixel clock and the image-processing chain along with re-configuring VDMA frame buffers for the new image settings. You can use the VTC’s timing detector and timing generator to define the new video timing. To update the output video timings for the new standard, the VTC can use the detected video settings to generate new output video timings.

1. Convert input video to AXI Interconnect as soon as possible to leverage IP and HLS

Image3.jpg 

Converting Data into the AXI Streaming Format

Vivado provides a range of key IP cores that implement most of the functions required by an image processing chain—functions such as Color Filter Interpolation, Color Space Conversion, VDMA, and Video Mixing. Similarity Vivado HLS can generate IP cores that use the AXI interconnect to ease integration within Vivado designs. Therefore, to get maximum benefit from the available IP and tool chain capabilities, we need to convert our incoming video data into the AXI Streaming format as soon as possible in the image-processing chain. We can use the Video-In-to-AXI-Stream IP core as an aid here. This core converts video from a parallel format consisting of synchronization signals and pixel values into our desired AXI Streaming format. A good tip when using this IP core is that the sync inputs do not need to be timed as per a VGA standard; they are edge triggered. This eases integration with different video formats such as Camera Link, with its frame-valid, line-valid, and pixel information format, for example. 

1. Use Logic Debugging Resources

Image4.jpg 

Insertion of the ILA monitoring the output stage

Insert integrated logic analyzers (ILAs) at key locations within the image-processing chain. Including these ILAs from day one in the design can help speed commissioning of the design. When implementing an image-processing chain in a new design, I insert ILA’s as a minimum in the following locations:

• Directly behind the receiving IP module—especially if it is a custom block. This ILA enables me to be sure that I am receiving data from the imager / camera.
  • On the output of the first AXI Streaming IP Core. This ILA allows me to be sure the image-processing core has started to move data through the AXI interconnect. If you are using VDMA, remember you will not see activity on the interconnect until you have configured the VDMA via software.
  • On the AXI-Streaming-to-Video-Out IP block, if used. I also consider connecting the video timing controller generator outputs to this ILA as well. This enables me to determine if the AXI-Stream-to-Video-Out block is correctly locked and the VTC is generating output timing.

When combined with the test patterns discussed below, insertion of ILAs allows us to zero in faster on any issues in the design which prevent the desired behavior.

1. Select an Imager / Camera with a Test Pattern capability

Image5.jpg 

Incorrectly received incrementing test pattern captured by an ILA

If possible when selecting the imaging sensor or camera for a project, choose one that provides a test pattern video output. You can then use this standard test pattern to ensure the reception, decoding, and image-processing chain is configured correctly because you’ll know exactly what the original video signal looks like. You can combine the imager/camera test pattern with ILAs connected close to the data reception module to determine if any issues you are experiencing when displaying an image is internal to the device and the image processing chain or are the result of the imager/camera configuration.

We can verify the deterministic pixel values of the test pattern using the ILA. If the pixel values, line length, and the number of lines are as we expect, then it is not an imager configuration issue. More likely you will find the issue(s) within the receiving module and the image-processing chain.  This is especially important when using complex imagers/cameras that require several tens, or sometimes hundreds of configuration settings to be applied before an image is obtained.

1. Include a Test Patter Generator in your Zynq SoC, Zynq UltraScale+ MPSoC, or FPGA design

Image6.jpg 

Tartan Color Bar Test Pattern

If you include a test-pattern generator within the image-processing chain, you can use it to verify the VDMA frame buffers, output video timing, and decoding prior to the integration of the imager/camera. This reduces integration risks. To gain maximum benefit, the test-pattern generator should be configured with the same color space and resolution as the final imager. The test pattern generator should be included as close to the start of the image-processing chain as possible. This enables more of the image-processing pipeline to be verified, demonstrating that the image-processing pipeline is correct. When combined with test pattern capabilities on the imager, this enables faster identification of any problems.

1. Understand how Video Direct Memory Access stores data in memory

Image7.jpg 

Video Direct Memory Access (VDMA) allows us to use the processor DDR memory as a frame buffer. This enables access to the images from the processor cores in the PS to perform higher-level algorithms if required. VDMA also provides the buffering required for frame-rate and resolution changes. Understanding how VDMA stores pixel data within the frame buffers is critical if the image-processing pipeline is to work as desired when configured.

One of the major points of confusion when implementing VDMA-based solutions centers around the definition of the frame size within memory. The frame buffer is defined in memory by three parameters: Horizontal Size (HSize), Vertical Size (VSize). and Stride.  The two parameters that define the Horizontal Size of the image are the HSize and the stride of the image. Like VSize, which defines the number of lines in the image, the HSize defines the length of each line. However instead of being measured in pixels the horizontal size is measured in bytes. We therefore need to know how many bytes make up each pixel.

The Stride defines the distance between the start of one line and another. To gain efficient use of the DDR memory, the Stride should at least equal the horizontal size. Increasing the Stride introduces a gap between lines. Implementing this gap can be very useful when verifying that the imager data is received correctly because it provides a clear indication of when a line of the image starts and ends with memory.

These six simple techniques have helped me considerably when creating imageprocessing examples for this blog or solutions for clients and they significantly ease both the creation and commissioning of designs.

As I said, this is my last blog of the year. We will continue this series in the New Year. Until then I wish you all happy holidays.

You can find the example source code on GitHub.

Adam Taylor’s Web site is http://adiuvoengineering.com/.

If you want E book or hardback versions of previous MicroZed chronicle blogs, you can get them below.

First Year E Book here

First Year Hardback here.

MicroZed Chronicles hardcopy.jpg 

Second Year E Book here

Second Year Hardback here

MicroZed Chronicles Second Year.jpg