UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

Two more things about the FPGA-based ALEXA 65 digital cinecam: Hasselblad lenses and “Guardians of the Galaxy”

by Xilinx Employee ‎12-10-2014 10:01 AM - edited ‎12-10-2014 10:14 AM (46,563 Views)

ARRI ALEXA 65 Promo.jpg

Last night at the Linwood Dunn Theatre in Hollywood where Oscar candidates are screened by The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences each year, filmmakers and cinematographers had the opportunity to try out the new FPGA-based ARRI ALEXA 65 6.5K digital cinecam I blogged about yesterday. (See “ARRI’s ALEXA 65—a 65mm, 6.5K pro digital cinecam—reaches its market in less than a year thanks to FPGAs.”)

ARRI ALEXA 65 Event at the Linwood Dunn Theatre.jpg

Although ARRI’s ALEXA 65 employs Xilinx Kintex-7, Artix-7, and Spartan-6 FPGAs for various internal functions including image-processing, signal conditioning, and image-sensor control, last night’s gala event gives me the opportunity to discuss two non-FPGA-related topics connected to ARRI’s new top-of-the-line camera system.

Item one: The larger format of the ALEXA 65 digital cinecam requires a new set of lenses to focus the action taking place in front of the camera on the significantly larger imaging area of the ALEXA 65’s 65mm CMOS sensor. ARRI has adapted the world-renown Hasselblad still-camera lenses for cinematography by re-housing them in cine-class lens barrels co-developed with IB/E Optics and by equipping them with ARRI’s LDS (Lens Data System), which reports frame-accurate metadata to the camera on the lens’ focus, iris, and zoom settings. The camera records that metadata with each captured image frame.

ARRI Hasselblad Lenses for ALEXA 65 Digital Cinecam.jpg

Item two: Yesterday, I listed a number feature films and television shows shot with ARRI’s FPGA-based ALEXA camera systems. Today, I discovered an extensive list of such films (437 titles!). In particular, I learned that one specific film was shot with an ALEXA camera system— last summer’s sleeper hit, “Guardians of the Galaxy”—which gives me an extremely flimsy excuse for posting the movie trailer for that film in Xcell Daily. Here it is: