UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

A 5G lunch in Denver at Abe’s (The Brewery Bar II) with the world’s best chili rellenos and my new friend Scott

by Xilinx Employee ‎11-17-2017 09:02 AM - edited ‎11-18-2017 01:30 PM (4,141 Views)

Thirty years ago, my friends and co-workers Jim Reyer and KB and I would drive to downtown Denver for a long lunch at a dive Mexican bar officially known as “The Brewery Bar II.” But the guy who owned it, the guy who was always perched on a stool inside to the door to meet and seat customers, was named Abe Schur so we called these trips “Abe’s runs.” This week, I found myself in downtown Denver again at the SC17 supercomputer conference at the Colorado Convention Center. The Brewery Bar II is still in business and only 15 blocks away from the convention center, so on a fine, sunny day, I set out on foot for one more Abe’s run.

I arrived about 45-minutes later.

Abes Front.jpg 

I walked in the front door and 30 years instantly evaporated. I couldn’t believe it but the place didn’t look any different. The same rickety tables. The same neon signs on the wall. The same bar. The same weird red, flocked wallpaper. It was all the same except my friends weren’t there with me and Abe wasn’t sitting on a stool. I’d already known that he’d passed away many years ago.

Also the same was the crowded state of the place at lunch time. The waitress (they don’t have servers at Abe’s) told me there were no tables available but I could eat at the bar. I took a place at the end of the bar and sat next to a guy typing on a laptop. That wasn’t the same as it was 30 years ago.

Abes 1 small.jpg 

The bartender came up and asked me what I wanted to drink. I said I’d not been in for more than 25 years and asked if they still served “Tinys.” A Tiny is Abe’s-speak for a large beer. He said “Of course,” so I ordered a Tiny ice tea. (Not the Long Island variety.)

Then he asked me what I wanted to eat. There’s only one response for that at Abe’s and since they still understood what a Tiny was, I answered without ever touching a menu: “One special relleno, green, with sour cream as a neutron moderator.” He asked me if I wanted the green chile hot, mild, or half and half. Thirty years ago, I’d have ordered hot. My digestive system now has three more decade’s worth of mileage on it, so I ordered half and half. Good thing. The chile’s hotness still registered a 6 or 7 on the Abe’s 1-to-10 scale.

After I ordered, the guy with the laptop next to me said “The rellenos are still as good as they were 25 years ago.” Indeed, that’s what he was eating. The ice had broken with Abe’s hot rellenos and so we started talking. The laptop guy’s name was Scott and he maintains cellular antenna installations on towers and buildings. His company owns a lot of cell tower sites in the Denver area.

Scott is very familiar with the changes taking place in cellular infrastructure and cell-site ownership, particularly with the imminent arrival of the latest 5G gear. He told me that the electronics is migrating up the towers to be as near the antennas as possible. “All that goes up there now is 48V power and a fiber,” he said. Scott is also familiar with the migration of the electronics directly into the antennas.

It turns out that Scott is also a ham radio operator, so we talked about equipment. He’s familiar with and has repaired just about everything that’s been on the market going back to tube-based gear but he was especially impressed with the new all-digital Icom rig he now uses most of the time. Scott’s not an engineer, but hams know a ton about electronics, so we started discussing all sorts of things. He’s especially interested in the newer LDMOS power FETs. So much so that he’s lost interest in using high-voltage transmitter tubes. "Why mess with high voltage when I can get just as far with 50V?" he mused.

I was wearing my Xilinx shirt from the SC17 conference, so I took the opportunity to start talking about the very relevant Xilinx Zynq UltraScale+ RFSoC, which is finding its way into a lot of 5G infrastructure equipment. Scott hadn’t heard about it, which really isn’t surprising considering how new it is, but after I described it he said he looked forward to maybe finding one in his next ham rig.

The special relleno, green with sour cream, arrived and one bite immediately took me back three decades again. The taste had not changed one morsel. Scott and I continued to talk for an hour. Sadly, the relleno didn’t last nearly that long.

Scott and I left Abe's together. He got into his truck and I started the 15-block walk back to the convention center. The conversation and the food formed one of those really remarkable time bubbles you sometimes stumble into—and always at Abe’s.

Labels
About the Author
  • Be sure to join the Xilinx LinkedIn group to get an update for every new Xcell Daily post! ******************** Steve Leibson is the Director of Strategic Marketing and Business Planning at Xilinx. He started as a system design engineer at HP in the early days of desktop computing, then switched to EDA at Cadnetix, and subsequently became a technical editor for EDN Magazine. He's served as Editor in Chief of EDN Magazine, Embedded Developers Journal, and Microprocessor Report. He has extensive experience in computing, microprocessors, microcontrollers, embedded systems design, design IP, EDA, and programmable logic.