UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

Adam Taylor’s MicroZed Chronicles Part 176: Video Timing Generator Synchronization

by Xilinx Employee on ‎03-08-2017 02:14 PM (2,406 Views)

By Adam Taylor

Embedded vision is one of my many FPGA/SoC interests. Recently, I have been doing some significant development work with the Avnet Embedded Vision Kit (EVK) significantly (for more info on the EVK and its uses see Issues 114 to 126 of the MicroZed Chronicles). As part my development, I wanted to synchronize the EVK display output with an external source—also useful if we desire to synchronize multiple image streams.

Implementing this is straight forward provided we have the correct architecture. The main element we need is a buffer between the upstream camera/image sensor chain and the downstream output-timing and -processing chain. VDMA (Video Direct Memory Access) provides this buffer by allowing us to store frames from the upstream image-processing pipeline in DDR SDRAM and then reading out the frames into a downstream processing pipeline with different timing.

The architectural concept appears below:

Image1.jpg

VDMA buffering between upstream and downstream with external sync

For most downstream chains, we use a combination of the video timing controller (VTC) and AXI Stream to Video Out IP blocks, both provided in the Vivado IP library. These two IP blocks work together. The VTC provides output timing and generates signals such as VSync and HSync. The AXI Stream to Video Out IP Block synchronizes its incoming AXIS stream with the timing signals provided by the VTC to generate the output video signals. Once the AXI Stream to Video Out block has synchronized with these signals, it is said to be locked and it will generate output video and timing signals that we can use.

The VTC itself is capable of both detecting input video timing and generating output video timing. These can be synchronized if you desire. If no video input timing signals are available to the VTC, then the input frame sync pulse (FSYNC_IN) serves to synchronize the output timing.  

Image2.jpg

Enabling Synchronization with FSYNC_IN or the Detector

If FSYNC_IN alone is used to synchronize the output, we need to use not only FSYNC_IN but also the VTC-provided frame sync out (FSYNC_OUT) and GEN_CLKEN to ensure correct synchronization. GEN_CLKEN is an input enable that allows the VTC generator output stage to be clocked.

The FSYNC_OUT pulse can be configured to occur at any point within the frame. For this application, is has been configured to be generated at the very end of the frame. This configuration can take place in the VTC re-configuration dialog within Vivado for a one-time approach or, if an AXI Lite interface is provided, it can be positioned using that during run time.

The algorithm used to synchronize the VTC to an external signal is:

• Generate a 1-clock-wide pulse on FSYNC_IN reception
  • Enable GEN_CLK
  • Wait for the FSYNC_OUT to be received
  • Disable GEN_CLK
  • Repeat from step 1

Should GEN_CLK not be disabled, the VTC will continue to run freely and will generate the next frame sequence. Issuing another FSYNC_IP while this is occurring will not result in re-synchronisation but will result in the AXI Stream to Video Out IP block being unable to synchronize the AXIS video with the timing information and losing lock.

Therefore, to control the enabling of the GEN_CLKEN we need to create a simple RTL block that implements the algorithm above.

Image3.jpg

Vivado Project Demonstrating the concept

When simulated, this design resulted in the VTC synchronizing to the FSYNC_IN signal as intended. It also worked the same when I implemented it in my EVK kit, allowing me to synchronize the output to an external trigger.

Image4.jpg

Simulation Results

Code is available on Github as always.

If you want E book or hardback versions of previous MicroZed chronicle blogs, you can get them below.

• First Year E Book here
  • First Year Hardback here.

MicroZed Chronicles hardcopy.jpg 

• Second Year E Book here
  • Second Year Hardback here

MicroZed Chronicles Second Year.jpg 

Labels
About the Author
  • Be sure to join the Xilinx LinkedIn group to get an update for every new Xcell Daily post! ******************** Steve Leibson is the Director of Strategic Marketing and Business Planning at Xilinx. He started as a system design engineer at HP in the early days of desktop computing, then switched to EDA at Cadnetix, and subsequently became a technical editor for EDN Magazine. He's served as Editor in Chief of EDN Magazine, Embedded Developers Journal, and Microprocessor Report. He has extensive experience in computing, microprocessors, microcontrollers, embedded systems design, design IP, EDA, and programmable logic.