UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

Adam Taylor’s MicroZed Chronicles Part 183: Introducing the Aldec TySOM 2 and a Face-Detection app

by Xilinx Employee ‎04-05-2017 01:55 PM - edited ‎04-05-2017 03:48 PM (13,495 Views)

By Adam Taylor

So far on this journey, most of the boards we have looked at have been fitted with either the Zynq Z-7010 or Z-7020 SoCs. The new Aldec TySOM 2 board comes which with either a Zynq Z-7045 or Z-7100 device fitted, making it the most powerful Zynq-based board we have looked at to date. Especially with the Z-7100 SoC fitted as is the example Aldec has provided to me.

Aldec Tysom 2 - Adam Taylor.jpg

The TySOM 2 board is intended for development prototyping. As such, it provides you with a range of I/O pins, broken out on two FMC connectors that connect to 288 of the Zynq Z-7100 SoC’s 362 I/O pins and all 16 GTX lanes. It also provides some simple user peripherals including switches and LEDS along with an HDMI port connected to the Zynq SoC’s PL (programmable logic). Meanwhile, the Zynq PS (processing system) provides four USB 2.0 ports, Ethernet, and a USB/UART for connectivity and 1Gbyte of DDR memory. In short, the Aldec TySOM 2 board has everything we need to create a very power single board computer.

Here’s a block diagram of the TySOM 2 board:

Aldec TySOM 2 Block Diagram.jpg

Aldec TySOM 2 board block diagram

Of course, there’s a range of FPGA Mezzanine Cards (FMC) available from Aldec and other vendors to enable prototyping over a wide range of applications including vision, IIOT and ADAS. Aldec supplied my board with the ADAS daughter board, which enables the connection of up to five cameras using FPD-Link III connections. As FMC is an ANSI standard, there are a wide range of 3rd-party FMCs available, which further widen the prototyping options to support applications such as Software Defined Radio.

As I mentioned before, the Zynq Z-7100 SoC is the most powerful Zynq device we have examined to date. So what does the Z-7100 bring to the party that we have not seen before (not including the PL’s increased logic resources)? The most obvious addition is the provision of the 16 GTX transceivers that support data rates to 12.5Gbps. You can also use these high-speed serial links to implement Gen1 (2.5 Gbps) and Gen2 (5.0 Gbps) PCIe interfaces. Multi-lane solutions are also possible. The Z-7100 can support as many as 8 lanes if we so desire.

We also gain access to high performance I/O pins for the first-time, which introduce digitally controlled, on-chip termination for better signal integrity. Zynq Z-7020 devices and below only provide High Range (HR) I/O, which handle a wider range of I/O voltages (1.2V to 3.3V) although with reduced performance. When it comes to logic resources, the Zynq Z-7100 SoC is very impressive. It gives us 444K logic cells, 2020 DSP slices, 26.5Mbits of block RAM, and 554,800 flip flops.

We will look more in detail at how we can use this development board over the next few weeks. However, Aldec shipped this board pre-installed with a face-detection application, which connects to a single camera using the ADAS FMC and an HDMI display. When I connected it all up and ran the application, the example sprung to life and detected my face as I moved about in front of the supplied camera:

Aldec Face Detection using a Zynq Z-7100.jpg 

My code is available on Github as always.

If you want E book or hardback versions of previous MicroZed chronicle blogs, you can get them below.

• First Year E Book here
  • First Year Hardback here.

MicroZed Chronicles hardcopy.jpg 

• Second Year E Book here
  • Second Year Hardback here

MicroZed Chronicles Second Year.jpg 

Labels
About the Author
  • Be sure to join the Xilinx LinkedIn group to get an update for every new Xcell Daily post! ******************** Steve Leibson is the Director of Strategic Marketing and Business Planning at Xilinx. He started as a system design engineer at HP in the early days of desktop computing, then switched to EDA at Cadnetix, and subsequently became a technical editor for EDN Magazine. He's served as Editor in Chief of EDN Magazine, Embedded Developers Journal, and Microprocessor Report. He has extensive experience in computing, microprocessors, microcontrollers, embedded systems design, design IP, EDA, and programmable logic.