UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

Adam Taylor’s MicroZed Chronicles, Part 189: Zynq SoC XADC Sampling Modes

by Xilinx Employee ‎04-26-2017 11:04 AM - edited ‎04-26-2017 11:05 AM (17,123 Views)

By Adam Taylor

In some applications, we wish to maintain the phase relationship between sampled signals. The Zynq SoC’s XADC contains two ADCs, which we can operate simulateneously in lock step to maintain the phase relationship between two sampled signals. To do this, we use the sixteen auxillary inputs with Channels 0-7 assigned to ADC A and channeld 8-15 assigned to ADC B. In simultaneous mode, we can therefore perform conversions on channels 0 to 7 and at the same time, perform conversions on channels 8 to 15.

Image1.jpg 

In simultaneous mode, we can also continue to sample the on-chip parameters, however they are not sampled simultaneously. We are unable to perform automatic calibration in simultaneous mode but we can use another mode to perform calibration when needed. This should be sufficent because calibration is generally performed only on power up of the device for most applications.

To use the simulatenous mode, we first need a hardware design on Vivado that breaks out the AuX0 and AuX8 channels. On the Zedboard and MicroZed I/O Carrier Cards, these signals are broken out to the AMS connector. This allows me to connect signal sources to the AMS header to stimulate the I/O pin with a signal. For this example, I an using a Digilent Analog Discovery module as signal source.

The hardware design within the Zynq for this example appears below:

Image2.jpg

Writing the software in SDK for simultaneous mode is very similar to the other modes of operation we have used in the past. The only major difference is that we need to make sure we have configured the simultaneous channels in the sequencer. Once this is done and we have configured the input format we want—bipolar or unipolar, averaging, etc.—we can start the sequencer using the XSM_SEQ_MODE_SIMUL mode definition.

When I ran this on the MicroZed set up as shown above and stored 64 samples from both the AUX0 and AUX8 input using input signals that were offset by 180 degrees, I was able to recover the following waveform, which shows the phase relations ship is maintained:

Image3.jpg 

If we want, we can also use simultaneous-conversion mode with an external analog multiplexer. All we need to do is configure the design to use the external mux as we did previously. Perhaps the difference this time is that we need to use two external analog multiplexers because we need to be able to select the two channels to convert simultaneously. Also, we need only use three address bits to cover the 0-7 address range, as opposed four address bits that we needed for addressing all sixteen analog inputs when we previously used sequencer mode. We use the lower three address bits of the four available address bits.

Image4.jpg

At this point, the only XADC mode that we have not looked at is independent mode. This mode is like the XADC’s default (safe) mode, however in independent mode ADC A monitors the internal on chip parameters while ADC B samples the external inputs. Independent mode is intended to implement a monitoring mode. As such, the alarms are active so you can use this mode for implementing security and anti-tamper features in your design.

Code is available on Github as always.

If you want E book or hardback versions of previous MicroZed chronicle blogs, you can get them below.

• First Year E Book here
  • First Year Hardback here.

MicroZed Chronicles hardcopy.jpg 

• Second Year E Book here
  • Second Year Hardback here

MicroZed Chronicles Second Year.jpg 

Labels
About the Author
  • Be sure to join the Xilinx LinkedIn group to get an update for every new Xcell Daily post! ******************** Steve Leibson is the Director of Strategic Marketing and Business Planning at Xilinx. He started as a system design engineer at HP in the early days of desktop computing, then switched to EDA at Cadnetix, and subsequently became a technical editor for EDN Magazine. He's served as Editor in Chief of EDN Magazine, Embedded Developers Journal, and Microprocessor Report. He has extensive experience in computing, microprocessors, microcontrollers, embedded systems design, design IP, EDA, and programmable logic.