UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

Adam Taylor’s MicroZed Chronicles, Part 192: Pmod – What if there is no Driver?

by Xilinx Employee ‎05-08-2017 10:32 AM - edited ‎05-08-2017 10:33 AM (1,626 Views)

By Adam Taylor

We recently examined how we could use Pmods in our system. There are a lot of Pmods available from many vendors but drivers are not necessarily available for all of them. If there is no driver available, we can use the Pmod bridge in the Zynq SoC’s PL (programmable logic), which enables us to correctly map Pmod ports on our selected development board and to create our own Zynq PS (processing system) driver. If we were to explore one of the provided drivers, we would find these also use the Pmod bridge, coupled with an AXI IIC or SPI component.

Image1.jpg 

Pmod AD2 PL Driver Components

In this example, I am going to be using Digilent’s DA4 octal DAC Pmod. I’ll integrate it with Digilent’s dual ADC AD2 Pmod, which we previously used in the driver example. We will develop our own driver with the Pmod bridge, generate an analog signal using the DA4 Pmod, and then receive the signal using the AD2 Pmod.

Image2.jpg

Pmod DA4 test set up

The Pmod bridge allows us to define the input types for both the top and bottom row of the Pmod connector. We can select from either GPIO, UART, IIC, or SPI interfaces. We make this selection for each of the Pmod rows in line with the Pmod we wish to drive. Selecting the desired type makes the pinout of the Pmod connector align with the standard for the interface type.

For the DA4, we need to use a SPI interface on the top row only. With this selected, we need to provide the actual SPI communication channel. As we are using the Zynq SoC, we have two options. The first would be to use an AXI SPI IP block within the PL and connected to the bridge. The second approach—and the one I am going to use—is to connect the bridge to the Zynq PS’ SPI using EMIO. This choice provides us with the ability to wire the pins from the PS SPI ports to the bridge inputs directly.

To do this we need to read the standard to ensure we can map from the SPI pins to the input pins on the bridge in the correct order (e.g. which PS SPI signal is connected to IN_0?). As these pins on the bridge represent different interface types, they are named generically. The diagram below shows how I did it for the DA4. Once we have mapped the pins for this example, we can build the project, export it to SDK, and then write the software to drive our DA4.

Image3.jpg

We can use the SPI drivers created by the BSP within SDK to drive the DA4. To interact with the DA4, the first thing we need to do is initialize the SPI controller. Once we have set the SPI Options for clock phase and master operation, we can then define a buffer and use the polled-transfer mode to transfer the required information to the DA4. A more complex driver would use an interrupt-driven approach as opposed to a polled one.

Image4.jpg 

I have uploaded the file I created to drive the DA4 onto the git hub repository. To test it I drove a simple ramp output and used the scope feature in the Digilent Analog Discovery module to monitor the DAC output. I received the following signal:

Image5.jpg 

With this completed and the DA4 known to be working as expected, I connected the DA4 and the AD2 together so that the Zynq SoC could receive the signal:

Image6.jpg 

When doing this, we need to be careful to ensure the signal output by the DA4 is within the AD2 Pmod’s operating range.

Having completed this and shown that the DA4 is working on the hardware, we now understand how we can create drivers if there is no driver available.

Code is available on Github as always.

If you want E book or hardback versions of previous MicroZed chronicle blogs, you can get them below.

• First Year E Book here
  • First Year Hardback here.

MicroZed Chronicles hardcopy.jpg 

• Second Year E Book here
  • Second Year Hardback here

MicroZed Chronicles Second Year.jpg 

Labels
About the Author
  • Be sure to join the Xilinx LinkedIn group to get an update for every new Xcell Daily post! ******************** Steve Leibson is the Director of Strategic Marketing and Business Planning at Xilinx. He started as a system design engineer at HP in the early days of desktop computing, then switched to EDA at Cadnetix, and subsequently became a technical editor for EDN Magazine. He's served as Editor in Chief of EDN Magazine, Embedded Developers Journal, and Microprocessor Report. He has extensive experience in computing, microprocessors, microcontrollers, embedded systems design, design IP, EDA, and programmable logic.