UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

Adam Taylor’s MicroZed Chronicles, Part 205: Software for the FLIR Lepton thermal imager

by Xilinx Employee on ‎07-10-2017 10:25 AM (2,162 Views)

By Adam Taylor

With the Vivado design for the Lepton thermal imaging IR camera built and the breakout board connected to the Arty Z7 dev board, the next step is to update the software so that we can receive and display images. To do this, we can also use the HDMI-out example software application as this correctly configures the board’s VDMA output. We just need to remove the test-pattern generation function and write our own FLIR control and output function as a replacement.

This function must do the following:

1. Configure the I2C and SPI peripherals using the XIICPS and XSPI API’s provided when we generated the BSP. To ensure that we can communicate with the Lepton Camera, we need to set the I2C address to 0x2A and configure the SPI for CPOL=1, CPHA=1, and master operation.
  2. Once we can communicate over the I2C interface to determine that the Lepton camera module is ready, we need to read the status register. If the camera is correctly configured and ready when we read this register, the Lepton camera will respond with 0x06.
  3. With the camera module ready, we can read out an image and store it within memory. To do this we execute several SPI reads.
  4. Having captured the image, we can move the stored image into the memory location being accessed by VDMA to display the image.

To successfully read out an image from the Lepton camera, we need to synchronize the VoSPI output to find the start of the first line in the image. The camera outputs each line as a 160-byte block (Lepton 2) or two 160-byte blocks (Lepton 3), and each block has a 2-byte ID and a 2-byte CRC. We can use this ID to capture the image, identify valid frames, and store them within the image store.

Performing steps 3 and 4 allows us to increase the size of the displayed image on the screen. The Lepton 2 camera used for this example has a resolution of only 80 horizontal pixels by 60 vertical pixels. This image would be very small when displayed on a monitor, so we can easily scale the image to 640x480 pixels by outputting each pixel and line eight times. This scaling produces a larger image that’s easier to recognize on the screen although may look a little blocky.

However, scaling alone will not present the best image quality as we have not configured the Lepton camera module to optimize its output. To get the best quality image from the camera module, we need to use the I2C command interface to enable parameters such as AGC (automatic gain control), which affects the contrast and quality of the output image, and flat-field correction to remove pixel-to-pixel variation.

To write or read back the camera module’s settings, we need to create a data structure as shown below and write that structure into the camera module. If we are reading back the settings, we can then perform an I2C read to read back the parameters. Each 16-bit access requires two 8-bit commands:

• Write to the command word at address 0x00 0x04.
  • Generate the command-word data formed from the Module ID, Command ID, Type, and Protection bit. This word informs the camera module which element of the camera we wish to address and if we wish to read, write, or execute the command.
  • Write the number of words to be read or written to the data-length register at address 0x00 0x06.
  • Write the number of data words to addresses 0x00 0x08 to 0x00 0x26.

This sequence allows us to configure the Lepton camera so that we get the best performance. When I executed the updated program, I could see the image that appears below, of myself taking a picture of the screen on the monitor screen. The image has been scaled up by a factor of 8.  

Image1.jpg 

Now that we have this image on the screen, I want to integrate this design with MiniZed dev board and configure the camera to transfer images over a wireless network.

Code is available on Github as always.

If you want E book or hardback versions of previous MicroZed chronicle blogs, you can get them below.

• First Year E Book here
  • First Year Hardback here.

MicroZed Chronicles hardcopy.jpg 

• Second Year E Book here
  • Second Year Hardback here

MicroZed Chronicles Second Year.jpg 

Labels
About the Author
  • Be sure to join the Xilinx LinkedIn group to get an update for every new Xcell Daily post! ******************** Steve Leibson is the Director of Strategic Marketing and Business Planning at Xilinx. He started as a system design engineer at HP in the early days of desktop computing, then switched to EDA at Cadnetix, and subsequently became a technical editor for EDN Magazine. He's served as Editor in Chief of EDN Magazine, Embedded Developers Journal, and Microprocessor Report. He has extensive experience in computing, microprocessors, microcontrollers, embedded systems design, design IP, EDA, and programmable logic.