UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

Adam Taylor’s MicroZed Chronicles, Part 215: Using the ADV7611 on the HDMI FMC card

by Xilinx Employee on ‎09-11-2017 09:58 AM (4,446 Views)

By Adam Taylor

When we surveyed the different types of HDMI sources and sinks recently for our Zynq SoC and Zynq UltraScale+ MPSoC designs, one HDMI receiver we discussed was the ADV7611. This device receives three TDMS data streams and converts them into discrete video and audio outputs, which can then be captured and processed. Of course, the ADV7611 is a very capable and somewhat complex device. It requires configuration prior to use. We are going to examine how we can include one within our design.

Image1.jpg

ZedBoard HDMI Demonstration Configuration

To do this, we need an ADV7611. Helpfully, the FMC HDMI card provides two HDMI inputs, one of which uses an ADV7611. The second equalizes the TMDS data lanes and passes them on directly to the Zynq SoC for decoding.

To demonstrate how we can get this device up and running with our Zynq SoC or Zynq UltraScale+ MPSoC, we will create an example that uses the ZedBoard with the HDMI FMC. For this example, we first need to create a hardware design in Vivado that interfaces with the ADV7611 on the HDMI FMC card. To keep this initial example simple, I will be only receiving the timing signals output by the ADV7611. These signals are:

• Local Locked Clock (LLC) – The pixel clock.
  • HSync – Horizontal Sync, indicates the start of a new line.
  • VSync – Vertical Sync, indicates the start of a new frame.
  • Video Active – indicates that the pixel data is valid (e.g. we are not in a Sync or Blanking period)

This approach uses the VTG’s (Video Timing Generator’s) detector to receive the sync signals and identify the received video’s timing parameters and video mode. Once the ADV7611 correctly identifies the video mode, we have configured correctly. It is then a simple step to connect the received pixel data to a Video-to-AXIS IP block and use VDMA to write the received video frames into DDR memory for further processing.

For this example, we need the following IP blocks:

• VTC (Video Timing Controller) – Configured for detection and to receive sync signals only.
  • ILA – Connected to the sync signals so that we can see that they are toggling correctly—to aid debugging and commissioning.
  • Constant – Set to a constant 1 to enable the clock and detector enables.

The resulting block diagram appears below. The eagle-eyed will also notice the addition both a GPIO output and I2C bus from the processor system. We need these to control and configure the ADV7611.

Image2.jpg

Simple Architecture to detect the video type

Following power up, the ADV7611 generates no sync signals or video. We must first configure the device, which requires the use of an I2C bus. We therefore need to enable one of the two I2C controllers within the Zynq PS and route the IO to the EMIO so that we can then route the I2C signals (SDA and SCL) to the correct pins on the FMC connector. The ADV7611 is a complex device to configure with multiple I2C addresses that address different internal functions within the device. EDID and High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection (HDCP), for example.

We also need to be able to reset the ADV7611 following the application of power to the ZedBoard and FMC HDMI. We use a PS GPIO pin, output via the EMIO, to do this. Using a controllable I/O pin for this function allows the application software to reset of the device each time we run the program. This capability is also helpful when debugging the software application to ensure that we start from a fresh reset each time the program runs—a procedure that prevents previous configurations form affecting the next.

With the block diagram completed, all that remains is to build the design with the location constraints (identified below) to connect to the correct pins on the FMC connector for the ADV7611.

Image3.jpg

Vivado Constraints for the ADV7611 Design

Once Vivado generates the bit file, we are ready to begin configuring the ADV7611. Using the I2C interface this way is quite complex, so we will examine the steps we need to do this in detail in the next blog. However, the image below shows one set of the results from the testing of the completed software as it detects a VGA (640 pixel by 480 line) input:

Image4.jpg 

VTC output when detecting VGA input format

References:

https://reference.digilentinc.com/fmc_hdmi/refmanual

http://www.analog.com/media/en/technical-documentation/user-guides/UG-180.pdf

http://www.analog.com/media/en/evaluation-boards-kits/evaluation-software/ADV7611_Software_Manual.pdf

Code is available on Github as always.

If you want E book or hardback versions of previous MicroZed chronicle blogs, you can get them below.

• First Year E Book here
  • First Year Hardback here.

MicroZed Chronicles hardcopy.jpg

• Second Year E Book here
  • Second Year Hardback here

MicroZed Chronicles Second Year.jpg 

Labels
About the Author
  • Be sure to join the Xilinx LinkedIn group to get an update for every new Xcell Daily post! ******************** Steve Leibson is the Director of Strategic Marketing and Business Planning at Xilinx. He started as a system design engineer at HP in the early days of desktop computing, then switched to EDA at Cadnetix, and subsequently became a technical editor for EDN Magazine. He's served as Editor in Chief of EDN Magazine, Embedded Developers Journal, and Microprocessor Report. He has extensive experience in computing, microprocessors, microcontrollers, embedded systems design, design IP, EDA, and programmable logic.