UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

Adam Taylor’s MicroZed Chronicles Part 40: MicroZed Operating Systems Part Two

by Xilinx Employee ‎07-07-2014 10:30 AM - edited ‎07-07-2014 12:08 PM (43,987 Views)

By Adam Taylor

Having introduced the operating systems I intend to demonstrate on the Zynq SoC, the first OS I intend to implement on the MicroZed is the Micrium uC/OSiii, which is a hard real-time operating system available for download here.

This OS has been used on number of very interesting systems and is currently in process for MISRA-C, DO178B level A, SIL3/4, and IEC61508 certification. Consequently, it should have a wide appeal to many designers using the Zynq SoC.

I chose Micrium’s uC/OSiii for my first OS example because I am most interested in using the Zynq SoC for industrial, military, aerospace, and other applications with challenging environments. I think the Zynq SoC’s benefits are really apparent in these application areas. They best demonstrate the SWAP-C (Size, Weight, and Power-Cost) and the performance benefits of a Zynq SoC implementation versus all other alternatives.

However, before I jump off and start discussing OS implementation, I thought I would provide a little back ground information on real-time operating systems (RTOSes).

So what differentiates an RTOS from a generic operating system? An RTOS is deterministic. That means the response of the system will meet a defined deadline.

But does the system have to always meet these deadlines to be classed a real-time system?

Actually, no it does not.

There are three RTOS categories that address deadlines differently:

• Hard RTOS – Missing a deadline is classified as a system failure.
  • Firm RTOS – Occasionally missing a deadline is acceptable and is not classified as a failure.
  • Soft RTOS – Missing a deadline simply reduces the usefulness of the results.

An RTOS operates around the concept of running tasks (sometimes called processes). Each of these tasks performs a required system function. For example, a task might read data from an interface or perform a calculation. A very simple real-time system may use just one task, but it is more likely that multiple tasks will be running on the processor at any one time. Switching between these tasks is referred to as “context switching” and requires that the RTOS saves the processor state for each task before the context switch starts the next task. The RTOS saves this processor state on a task stack.

Determining which task to run next is controlled by the RTOS kernel and this decision can be complicated—especially if we want to avoid deadlock where tasks lock each other out—but the two basic decision methods are:

• Time sharing – Each task gets a dedicated time slot on the processor. Tasks with higher priority can have multiple time slots. Time slicing is controlled via a regular interrupt or timer. This method is often called Round Robin scheduling.
  • Event Driven – Tasks are only switched when a task finishes or when a higher priority task must be run. This method is often called pre-emptive scheduling.

Micrium’s μC/OSiii is a pre-emptive RTOS. Therefore it always runs the task with the highest priority that’s ready be executed.

In the next blog we will look at how tasks communicate with each other (often called inter-process communication). We will also look at events like task deadlock and starvation in more detail.

For many, this discussion will be a recap. However, I think it is important to explain all of the fundamental concepts that we will be using as we look more deeply into operating systems and the Zynq SoC.

Please see the previous entries in this MicroZed series by Adam Taylor:

Adam Taylor’s MicroZed Chronicles MicroZed Part 39: MicroZed Operating Systems Part One

Adam Taylor’s MicroZed Chronicles MicroZed Part 38 – Answering a question on Interrupts

Adam Taylor’s MicroZed Chronicles Part 37: Driving Adafruit RGB NeoPixel LED arrays with MicroZed Part 8

Adam Taylor’s MicroZed Chronicles Part 36: Driving Adafruit RGB NeoPixel LED arrays with MicroZed Part 7

Adam Taylor’s MicroZed Chronicles Part 35: Driving Adafruit RGB NeoPixel LED arrays with MicroZed Part 6

Adam Taylor’s MicroZed Chronicles Part 34: Driving Adafruit RGB NeoPixel LED arrays with MicroZed Part 5

Adam Taylor’s MicroZed Chronicles Part 33: Driving Adafruit RGB NeoPixel LED arrays with the Zynq SoC

Adam Taylor’s MicroZed Chronicles Part 32: Driving Adafruit RGB NeoPixel LED arrays

Adam Taylor’s MicroZed Chronicles Part 31: Systems of Modules, Driving RGB NeoPixel LED arrays

Adam Taylor’s MicroZed Chronicles Part 30: The MicroZed I/O Carrier Card

Zynq DMA Part Two – Adam Taylor’s MicroZed Chronicles Part 29

The Zynq PS/PL, Part Eight: Zynq DMA – Adam Taylor’s MicroZed Chronicles Part 28  

The Zynq PS/PL, Part Seven: Adam Taylor’s MicroZed Chronicles Part 27

The Zynq PS/PL, Part Six: Adam Taylor’s MicroZed Chronicles Part 26

The Zynq PS/PL, Part Five: Adam Taylor’s MicroZed Chronicles Part 25

The Zynq PS/PL, Part Four: Adam Taylor’s MicroZed Chronicles Part 24

The Zynq PS/PL, Part Three: Adam Taylor’s MicroZed Chronicles Part 23

The Zynq PS/PL, Part Two: Adam Taylor’s MicroZed Chronicles Part 22

The Zynq PS/PL, Part One: Adam Taylor’s MicroZed Chronicles Part 21

Introduction to the Zynq Triple Timer Counter Part Four: Adam Taylor’s MicroZed Chronicles Part 20

Introduction to the Zynq Triple Timer Counter Part Three: Adam Taylor’s MicroZed Chronicles Part 19

Introduction to the Zynq Triple Timer Counter Part Two: Adam Taylor’s MicroZed Chronicles Part 18

Introduction to the Zynq Triple Timer Counter Part One: Adam Taylor’s MicroZed Chronicles Part 17

The Zynq SoC’s Private Watchdog: Adam Taylor’s MicroZed Chronicles Part 16

Implementing the Zynq SoC’s Private Timer: Adam Taylor’s MicroZed Chronicles Part 15

MicroZed Timers, Clocks and Watchdogs: Adam Taylor’s MicroZed Chronicles Part 14

More About MicroZed Interrupts: Adam Taylor’s MicroZed Chronicles Part 13

MicroZed Interrupts: Adam Taylor’s MicroZed Chronicles Part 12

Using the MicroZed Button for Input: Adam Taylor’s MicroZed Chronicles Part 11

Driving the Zynq SoC's GPIO: Adam Taylor’s MicroZed Chronicles Part 10

Meet the Zynq MIO: Adam Taylor’s MicroZed Chronicles Part 9

MicroZed XADC Software: Adam Taylor’s MicroZed Chronicles Part 8

Getting the XADC Running on the MicroZed: Adam Taylor’s MicroZed Chronicles Part 7

A Boot Loader for MicroZed. Adam Taylor’s MicroZed Chronicles, Part 6 

Figuring out the MicroZed Boot Loader – Adam Taylor’s MicroZed Chronicles, Part 5

Running your programs on the MicroZed – Adam Taylor’s MicroZed Chronicles, Part 4

Zynq and MicroZed say “Hello World”-- Adam Taylor’s MicroZed Chronicles, Part 3

Adam Taylor’s MicroZed Chronicles: Setting the SW Scene

Bringing up the Avnet MicroZed with Vivado

Comments
by Explorer
on ‎07-24-2014 06:40 AM

keep going Adam Smiley Wink

Labels
About the Author
  • Be sure to join the Xilinx LinkedIn group to get an update for every new Xcell Daily post! ******************** Steve Leibson is the Director of Strategic Marketing and Business Planning at Xilinx. He started as a system design engineer at HP in the early days of desktop computing, then switched to EDA at Cadnetix, and subsequently became a technical editor for EDN Magazine. He's served as Editor in Chief of EDN Magazine, Embedded Developers Journal, and Microprocessor Report. He has extensive experience in computing, microprocessors, microcontrollers, embedded systems design, design IP, EDA, and programmable logic.