UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

FPGA-based Ryft ONE search accelerator delivers 100x performance advantage over Apache Spark in the data center

by Xilinx Employee ‎11-23-2015 01:19 PM - edited ‎01-06-2016 10:50 AM (33,185 Views)

My prowl for groundbreaking technologies on the SC15 show floor last week brought me to Ryft’s booth where the company’s new Ryft ONE FPGA-accelerated data analytics platform was prominently on display. The Ryft ONE is a 1U box designed to slide right into a server rack. It melds a familiar x86 front end with 48Tbytes of SSD storage and a high-speed parallel processing array—dubbed the Ryft Analytics Cortex—consisting of 11 FPGAs ready to be loaded with Ryft Algorithm Primitives that implement tasks including search, fuzzy search, and term frequency. Ryft ONE can execute searches and fuzzy searches at the rate of 10Gbytes/sec using an open API.

Ryft ONE.jpg

The secret to the Ryft ONE’s analytic processing speed is that the box doesn’t index or ETL (Extract, Transform and Load) the data. Data streams into the Ryft ONE at 10Gbytes/sec, feeds into the SSDs, and then passes into the Ryft Analytics Cortex—which treats the data (all of the data) as a big, searchable bit string. Consequently, data type and data organization do not matter. It’s all just one long string of searchable bits to the Ryft ONE.

As much as I don’t like using the overused phrase, index-less search is truly a paradigm shift for data analytics in the data center. It’s a fast paradigm shift too. A Ryft ONE delivers a 100x performance advantage over Apache Spark for specific streaming analytic jobs.

Oh, and those FPGAs in the Ryft ONE? They’re from Xilinx of course. But then you probably guessed that already.

Note: Ryft has a detailed White Paper about the Ryft ONE written by the The Bloor Group. It’s titled “A Ryft in the Market.” Contact Ryft for more info. These guys know what they’re doing. They’re located just outside of Washington, DC. Get my dryft?

Labels
About the Author
  • Be sure to join the Xilinx LinkedIn group to get an update for every new Xcell Daily post! ******************** Steve Leibson is the Director of Strategic Marketing and Business Planning at Xilinx. He started as a system design engineer at HP in the early days of desktop computing, then switched to EDA at Cadnetix, and subsequently became a technical editor for EDN Magazine. He's served as Editor in Chief of EDN Magazine, Embedded Developers Journal, and Microprocessor Report. He has extensive experience in computing, microprocessors, microcontrollers, embedded systems design, design IP, EDA, and programmable logic.