UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

Getting the XADC Running on the MicroZed: Adam Taylor’s MicroZed Chronicles Part 7

by Xilinx Employee ‎11-18-2013 04:23 PM - edited ‎01-11-2016 04:07 PM (216,339 Views)

By Adam Taylor

If you have been following the MicroZed Chronicles blogs, you will see we have run through the creation of a Zynq All Programmable SoC application, configuration, and boot loader file set using the Vivado Design Suite from concept through working prototype. However, we initially focused upon just using the processing system (PS) side of the Zynq. The real benefit of using a device like the Zynq SoC comes in the creation of a programmable system that also utilizes both the programmable logic (PL) side of the device and the dedicated, hard-IP macros in the Zynq SoC including the XADC analog subsystem, the high-speed serial (SerDes) links, and the PCIe end points.

Over the next few blogs, I will look at extending the system we have created to date by adding in the on-chip XADC block.

The Zynq SoC’s XADC block contains two 12-bit analog-to-digital converters. These ADCs are capable of sampling at up to 1 Msample/sec, with an ideal effective input signal bandwidth of 500kHz (250 kHz on the auxiliary inputs). The XADC can multiplex among 17 analog inputs with additional input channels connected to on-chip voltages and temperature sensors. If your design is pin-limited in terms of available analog-capable inputs for external signals, you can configure the XADC to drive an external analog multiplexer.

The XADC is capable of unipolar or bipolar measurements—each analog input is differential. The 17 differential inputs are split between one dedicated analog input pair referred to as VP/VN and 16 auxiliary inputs that can be configured as either analog or digital I/O pins, referred to as VAuxP/VAuxN. The effective input signal bandwidth depends upon whether you are using the dedicated VP/VN differential input pair, in which case it is 500kHz, or the auxiliary inputs, in which case the maximum bandwidth is 250KHz.

The XADC’s mixed-signal performance is very good, with a minimum 60-dB signal-to-noise ratio (SNR) and 70 dB of total harmonic distortion (THD) according to the data sheet. Depending upon the operating temperature range, -55 to 125°C or -40 to 100°C, the XADC’s resolution is 10 bits or 12 bits respectively. This gives the XADC an equivalent number of bits of 9.67 when using the equation

ENOB Equation.jpg 

(See Xcell Journal issue 80, “The FPGA Engineer’s Guide to Using ADCs and DACs,” for more detail on the theory behind this.)

The XADC supports user-selectable averaging to reduce input noise and offers 16-, 64- or 256-sample averaging. You can also program an automatic series of minimum and maximum alarm levels for each measured internal device parameter (voltage and temperature).

Designers can use the XADC for many applications ranging from simple housekeeping telemetry of on-chip parameters (voltage, current, temperature) to supporting touch sensors, motor control, or simple wireless communication protocols. The XADC can also be used in military or other critical systems to detect tampering attempts.

One great advantage is that you can use the XADC to monitor a number of internal device parameters to verify the health of your design. In addition, to ease verification during the early stages within a Zynq SoC-based system, you can use the XADC to measure the temperature as recorded by the on-chip temperature sensor, along with the following additional parameters:

•             VCCInt: The internal PL core voltage

•             VCCAux: The auxiliary PL voltage

•             VRefP: The XADC positive reference voltage      

•             VRefN:The XADC negative reference voltage

•             VCCBram: The PL BRAM voltage

•             VCCPInt: The PS internal core voltage

•             VCCPAux: The PS auxiliary voltage

•             VCCDdr: The operating voltage of the DDR RAM connected to the PS

Adding in the XADC is very simple using the block-diagram editor within the Vivado Design Suite. The first thing to do is to ensure that we have enabled one of the general purpose master AXI interfaces within the Zynq PS on the PS-PL Configuration page:

Figure 1 Zynq PS-PL Configuration.jpg 

Once you have done this, you will see from the block diagram representation of the Zynq PS that the ports associated with the AXI interface are present (highlighted here in yellow):

Figure 2 Zynq PS Block Diagram.jpg 

The next thing to do is to connect this AXI port within the PS to an AXI Interconnect block. Doing this allows the Zynq PS to interface to the XADC’s AXI 4 lite interface. You add the AXI Interconnect block to your block diagram from the Vivado IP Catalog. Once you have added it to the block diagram, connect the PS master AXI port to the AXI Interconnect Slave port. Connect FCLK_CLK0 from the PS to the AXI interconnect’s S00_ACLK and master aclk. Similarly, connect the resets as shown in the diagram above.

Once the AXI Interconnect is wired to the PS we can customise the AXI Interconnect to select the number of slave and master ports. Click on the AXI interconnect module and you will be able to select the number of master and slave interfaces. In this example I selected one of each.

Figure 3 AXI Interconnect Configuration.jpg 

Once this is complete, you can include the XADC by adding it from the IP Catalog. Once you drop the XADC into your design, you can customize it to connect via the AXI4 interface using the XADC Wizard. Please note in this example we will be reading back the Zynq SoC’s internal voltages and temperatures.

Figure 4 XADC Wizard.jpg 

It is now a simple case of wiring up the XADC slave port to the AXI interconnect Master port, with the clocks and reset connected as for the AXI Interconnect.

Having connected all of the IP together, the next step is to verify that there are no errors or warnings on the system as we’ve designed it:

Figure 5 Validate Design dialog Box.jpg 

After design validation, right-click the sources window to select the block diagram and then select “generate HDL.” Following this we can implement the design and generate the bit file. Once this process has finished, check the utilization report to ensure that the XADC is being used in the design:

Figure 6 Zynq Utilization Report.jpg

Now the design can be exported to the SDK and then we can write the software needed to drive the XADC.

Note: Please see the previous entries in this MicroZed series by Adam Taylor:

A Boot Loader for MicroZed. Adam Taylor’s MicroZed Chronicles, Part 6 

Figuring out the MicroZed Boot Loader – Adam Taylor’s MicroZed Chronicles, Part 5

Running your programs on the MicroZed – Adam Taylor’s MicroZed Chronicles, Part 4

Zynq and MicroZed say “Hello World”-- Adam Taylor’s MicroZed Chronicles, Part 3

Adam Taylor’s MicroZed Chronicles: Setting the SW Scene

Bringing up the Avnet MicroZed with Vivado

Comments
by Explorer
on ‎07-23-2014 08:19 AM

hi Adam,

when i finish the desgin, and during " generate bloc design " , error message apear, indicate that is necessary to connect the vp and vn pin ( input ) of XADC ?

thank you 

by Observer taylo_ap
on ‎07-25-2014 12:22 PM

gma 

Is it a error or a critical warning? 

When I generate mine I get a crititcal warning as I might want to use the XADc inputs to monitor external signals hence the warning to make sure I have consciously decided to use only the internal parameters

Adam 

by Newbie tanglingshu
on ‎08-19-2014 11:38 AM

If I want to sample external voltage through vp and vn, how do I set the sample rate? Is that the same as setting ADC conversion rate in the XADC IP Wizard? Thank you

by Observer taylo_ap
on ‎08-19-2014 12:20 PM

tanglingshu,

Yes it is defiend via the XADC wizard, the module is clocked by the DRP (Dynamic Reconfiguration Port) clock in most cases. 

This is defined within the XADC wizard the ADC clock fequency (you cannot change this directly) you can however change the DRPclock frequency and the samling rate the clock divisor and ADC clock frequency will be calculated for you. If your requests are not valid you will see red text

Do not forget to remember basic sampling theory that you need to sample rate to be atleast twice the high signal frequency. e.g. a 5 HZ signal requires a 10 HZ sampling rate.

The following will be helpful

http://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/user_guides/ug480_7Series_XADC.pdf

http://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/ip_documentation/xadc_wiz/v3_0/pg091-xadc-wiz.pdf

by Visitor octavianmm
on ‎11-04-2014 11:49 PM

Hello,

I followed your tutorial, but I am having the following problem in SDK:

I have an application that reads the current temperature from the XADC and prints it on UART.

The issue is that the value is always the same. I noticed that if I program the FPGA before running the application it gets updated, but stays afterwards it remains constat every time it is read. In order to read a new value I have to program the FPGA again.

I must be doing something wrong but I can't figure it out...

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

by Visitor octavianmm
on ‎11-05-2014 01:27 AM

Hi Adam,

Please help me out. I followed your tutorial but I see a strange behaviour from the XADC.

I made a simple SDK application that reads the temperature and prints it on UART.

The issue is that every time after I program the FPGA the value printed stays constant, only if I press the PROG button (I have a ZedBoard) and reset the FPGA the values printed are starting to be in real-time and updated.

What am I doing wrong here?

Thank you.

by Observer taylo_ap
on ‎11-05-2014 11:48 AM

octavianmm

If you send mee the your C application to aptaylor@theiet.org I will take a look at it for you 

Adam

by Scholar ronnywebers
on ‎12-04-2014 04:02 AM

I have the same issue as octavianmm, all values seem to be stuck.

I discovered that by not programming the FPGA, everything works fine...

As far as I understand, in part 7 the XADC is interfaced through an AXI interface, which is compiled and programmed into the PL.

If I understand it correctly, the firmware in part 8 accesses the XADC directly through the PS-XADC interface, instead of through the AXI memory mapped interface?

by Visitor yankele
on ‎07-22-2015 05:30 AM

Dear Adam

The input range of the ADC is not quoted in any stuff I read before ordering a first Zedboard.

One drawing strongly suggests -2.5 to +2.5 volt.

Is this correct?

Jacques

by Visitor rrsquez@yahoo.com
on ‎12-30-2016 10:40 AM

Hello. I've been trying to follow this blog, but the coding has changed. Can someone update this blog to reflect the changes? When I use Automation, I lose the Master AXI clock, and it adds a Reset Block that isn't discussed.

This problem highlights the dangers of using "Automation" to do anything; it doesn't always work.

Thank you, Richard V

by Observer taylo_ap
on ‎01-03-2017 12:48 PM

Richard 

The reset block is not too difficult to include in this example, the diagram below should help. I generated it by placing a Zynq PS on the block diagram and then the XADC wizard. Before running the block automation and then  connection automation.

Capture.PNG

You may also be interested in this blog

https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Xcell-Daily-Blog/Adam-Taylor-s-MicroZed-Chronicles-Part-62-Answers-to-a-question/ba-p/553457

Thanks 

Adam 

Labels
About the Author
  • Be sure to join the Xilinx LinkedIn group to get an update for every new Xcell Daily post! ******************** Steve Leibson is the Director of Strategic Marketing and Business Planning at Xilinx. He started as a system design engineer at HP in the early days of desktop computing, then switched to EDA at Cadnetix, and subsequently became a technical editor for EDN Magazine. He's served as Editor in Chief of EDN Magazine, Embedded Developers Journal, and Microprocessor Report. He has extensive experience in computing, microprocessors, microcontrollers, embedded systems design, design IP, EDA, and programmable logic.