UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

Shockingly Cool Again: Low-power Xilinx CoolRunner-II CPLDs get new product brief

by Xilinx Employee ‎05-18-2017 11:51 AM - edited ‎05-19-2017 04:33 PM (39,438 Views)

This may shock you, but Xilinx continues to be in the CPLD business. I was reminded of that point this week when I got an email blast about the Xilinx CoolRunner-II CPLD family—first introduced about 15 years ago—which is still being made, sold, and supported. In fact, said the email blast, Xilinx has committed to 7+ years of supply for these devices. They also have a slick, updated product brief:

Xilinx CoolRunner-II Product Brief.jpg

Despite their age, Xilinx’s inexpensive, reprogrammable CoolRunner-II CPLDs are still pretty useful devices. They carry their own configuration in an on-chip EEPROM. Because CoolRunner-II CPLDs sip power—quiescent current can be a mere handful of μA for an XC2C32A device and there are some unique power-saving features in all of the devices including DataGATE and CoolCLOCK with DualEDGE flip-flops—they are often used for power sequencing and supervisory tasks. With maximum system toggle frequencies in the low hundreds of MHz, they’re capable of implementing fairly fast state machines as well. Yes, they’re used for glue logic too. They’re handy things to have in your design toolbox.

Need a very small programmable logic device for use on a tight pcb? The CoolRunner-II XC2C32A CPLD with 32 macrocells and 21 I/O pins is available in a 5x5mm QFG32 package and the CoolRunner-II XC2C64A CPLD with 64 macrocells and 37 I/O pins is available in a 7x7mm QFG48 package. Got an 8x8mm spot on your board? An XC2C256 CPLD can drop more than 100 I/O pins into that space.

You can still create designs for Coolrunner-II CPLDs using the Xilinx ISE Design Suite and, if you’ve not used these devices before, you can get a Digilent CoolRunner-II CPLD Starter Board for $39.99. The Starter Board incorporates a CoolRunner-II XC2C256 CPLD.

Digilent CoolRuner-II Starter Board.jpg 

$39.99 Digilent CoolRunner-II CPLD Starter Board

Comments
by Scholar drjohnsmith
on ‎05-19-2017 03:49 AM

With allthe other current devices moved to Vivado, 

the coolruner and the Spartan 6 still hang in there using ISE.

Labels
About the Author
  • Be sure to join the Xilinx LinkedIn group to get an update for every new Xcell Daily post! ******************** Steve Leibson is the Director of Strategic Marketing and Business Planning at Xilinx. He started as a system design engineer at HP in the early days of desktop computing, then switched to EDA at Cadnetix, and subsequently became a technical editor for EDN Magazine. He's served as Editor in Chief of EDN Magazine, Embedded Developers Journal, and Microprocessor Report. He has extensive experience in computing, microprocessors, microcontrollers, embedded systems design, design IP, EDA, and programmable logic.