UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

Why 64 bits? Excellent question! Good answers to be delivered in free Doulos Webinar on April 21

by Xilinx Employee ‎04-05-2017 09:59 AM - edited ‎04-05-2017 10:35 AM (586 Views)

With a big part of the embedded world just catching up to 32-bit RISC processors, you may have looked at the multiple 64-bit ARM Cortex-A53 processors in the Xilinx Zynq UltraScale+ MPSoC and wondered, “Why?” It’s a fair question and one that reminds me of the debates I had with my good friend Jack Ganssle at long-past Embedded Systems Conferences. I consider Jack to be one of the world’s foremost embedded-system design experts so he has a very informed opinion about these things. (If you do not subscribe to Jack’s free Embedded Muse newsletter, you should immediately click on that link and then come back.)

Jack and I discussed the use of 8-bit versus 32-bit processors in embedded systems many years ago. I argued that you could already see designers employing all sorts of memory block-switching schemes to circumvent the 8-bit processors’ 64Kbyte address-space limitations. Why do that? Why take on the significant burden of the added software complexity to juggle these switched-memory blocks when Moore’s Law had already made 32-bit processors with their immense address spaces eminently affordable?

Well, even 32-bit processors no longer have “immense’ memory spaces relative to the embedded tasks we must now tackle and address-space considerations are a big part of why you want to think about using 64-bit processors for embedded designs. But that’s not the sole or even the main consideration for using 64-bit processors in embedded designs.

Rather than argue the points here, my intent is to alert you to a free, 1-hour Webinar being taught by Doulos titled “Shift Gear with a 64-bit ARM-Powered MPSoC.” Yes, the title could be more descriptive, so here are the ARM Cortex-A53 programmer’s model enhancements that this Webinar will cover:

• exception model
  • execution states
  • memory management
  • cache coherency

The Webinar will be conducted twice on April 21 to accommodate multiple time zones worldwide. Click here for more info.

Labels
About the Author
  • Be sure to join the Xilinx LinkedIn group to get an update for every new Xcell Daily post! ******************** Steve Leibson is the Director of Strategic Marketing and Business Planning at Xilinx. He started as a system design engineer at HP in the early days of desktop computing, then switched to EDA at Cadnetix, and subsequently became a technical editor for EDN Magazine. He's served as Editor in Chief of EDN Magazine, Embedded Developers Journal, and Microprocessor Report. He has extensive experience in computing, microprocessors, microcontrollers, embedded systems design, design IP, EDA, and programmable logic.