UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

Wondering if CCIX—the 100Gbytes/sec chip-to-chip I/O protocol—is right for you? Synopsys has some words of advice

by Xilinx Employee on ‎07-13-2017 11:26 AM (13,913 Views)

CCIX 3D bug.jpg 

CCIX (the “cache-coherent interconnect for accelerators,” pronounced “see-six”), is a new, high-speed, chip-to-chip I/O protocol being developed by the CCIX Consortium. It’s based on the ubiquitous PCIe protocol, which means it can leverage PCIe’s existing, low-cost hardware infrastructure but it can go faster—a lot faster. While PCIe 4.0 (just starting to roll out) operates at a maximum rate of 16GTransfers/sec—that’s about 64Gbytes/sec bidirectionally on a 16-lane link—CCIX takes the signaling to 25GTransfer/sec, which approaches 100Gbytes/sec bidirectionally over the same 16 lanes. For compatibility, CCIX connections initialize as PCIe connections, thus maintaining PCIe protocol compatibility, but then permit a bootstrap mechanism where two connected CCIX devices can agree to stomp on the I/O accelerator pedal for a 56% speed boost using the same hardware.

All of this and more is explained in a new, easy-to-read technical bulletin posted by Synopsys titled “An Introduction to CCIX.”

Synopsys is a CCIX Contributor and Xilinx is a CCIX Promoter—both members of the CCIX Consortium at different membership levels. Xilinx is intensely interested in I/O protocols like CCIX to permit ever-faster communications between fast processor arrays and even faster FPGA-based accelerators and is looking forward to the first products with CCIX interconnect sampling later this year.

For more information about CCIX, see:

Labels
About the Author
  • Be sure to join the Xilinx LinkedIn group to get an update for every new Xcell Daily post! ******************** Steve Leibson is the Director of Strategic Marketing and Business Planning at Xilinx. He started as a system design engineer at HP in the early days of desktop computing, then switched to EDA at Cadnetix, and subsequently became a technical editor for EDN Magazine. He's served as Editor in Chief of EDN Magazine, Embedded Developers Journal, and Microprocessor Report. He has extensive experience in computing, microprocessors, microcontrollers, embedded systems design, design IP, EDA, and programmable logic.