UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

Calculate power of ZCU102 board

Highlighted
Observer

Calculate power of ZCU102 board

Hello all,

I have a ZCU102 kit from Xilinx. I have designed a system which has a custom ip. I would like to calculate the accurate power consumption of the board.

I have gone through Xilinx Power Estimator (XPE), power estimator in Vivado, Maxim Powertool, Xilinx Power Advantage Tool.

I would like to know the exact total power consumption which is the summation of the power consumed by the FPGA device, off-chip devices like DDR, SDCard, etc.

1. Which one will be the best method to calculate the power consumption accurately? 

2. If I am using power estimator in Vivado, I will get power consumption say X watts. If my C program in SDK run for Y seconds, can I calculate the energy consumption directly as the product of X and Y (X*Y) joules? If not any other method to calculate the energy consumption for a given time of Y seconds?

3. Is it necessary to have an OS running on Zynq to use Xilinx Power Advantage tool or can I use this tool on baremetal system as well?

There is a post which gives information on power consumption using physical methods (https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Embedded-Processor-System-Design/power-consumption-at-the-physical-level/m-p/830112/highlight/true#M37879). But I would like to use digital methods like XPE or power estimator in Vivado or Maxim Powertool.

Thank you all in advance!