UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

Accepted Solution

ZCU102 fail to boot from SD card

Highlighted
Contributor

Re: ZCU102 fail to boot from SD card

Turns out that on ES2 silicon with the REV 1 board the boot mode needs to be set to "E".  After that change and a rebuild of the BSP from scratch my board boots but still has a ps_error led lit.

The prebuild HW Platform in the SDK for the ZCU102 isnt for the rev1 board. Is this the case for you?

If so, you can create the HW in Vivado for the rev1 and export to SDK, and use this HDFfile

Visitor

Hi tkammacher, I came into the same the problem, "XFSBL_ERROR_SD_F_OPEN".

How do you solved this? 

Visitor

Hi

I am using the ES2 version (Rev 1.0) of the ZCU102. I originally tested some prebuilt Linux Images for the ES1 which did not work. Then I found XTP428 on [1].

From the ZIP design file for XTP428 "rdf0377.." [2] I took the boot.bin and image.ub and put them on a sd card.

Also important is to set SW6 to 0xE and to choose the correct serial port (for me it was the 3rd out of the 4 created by the driver).

[1]

https://www.xilinx.com/products/boards-and-kits/ek-u1-zcu102-es2-g.html#docs

[2]

https://secure.xilinx.com/webreg/clickthrough.do?cid=475216&license=RefDesLicense&filename=rdf0377-zcu102-bit-es2-2016-4.zip&languageID=1

Visitor

The problem is that the zcu102-base-trd-2016-3.zip  provided by Xilinx, targets the ES1 silicon.

To fix this, overwrite the zcu102-base-trd-2016-3 hdf file, with an ES2 version, and you can use the complete petalinux flow, and have a working FSBL & BOOT.BIN for ES2!

Problem:

the archive contains the HDF file, and if you unzip it (rename .hdf to .zip, and unzip)

[tgolubev@localhost tmp]$ cat hwdef.xml
<TOOL_VERSION Version="2016.3_sdx"/>
<MODE Name="Pre-Synthesis"/>
<SYSTEMINFO BOARD="" PART="xczu9eg-ffvb1156-2L-e-es1" ARCH="zynquplus" PACKAGE="ffvb1156" DEVICE="xczu9eg" SPEED="-2L"/>

Fix:

Either Generate new ES2 Vivado Design, or find an HDF file on the net, and overwrite the one petalinux uses.

To generate an ES2 design in Vivado

Step 1) Lauch Vivado for TRD

In Shell:

$cd pl/zcu102_base_trd

$vivado &

Step 2) Create Design

In Vivado:

** You will need to have a valid TPG License for this step to complete **

set argv [ list -silicon es2 ]

set argc 2

source scripts/create_project.tcl

(This will generate the zcu102 Base TRD design, targeting ES2 silicon)

Step 3) Export Hardware, including Bitstream.

Now we take the exported hdf file from VIvado (This is a complete archive including the system definition psu_init.c, psu_init.h, and optionally the bit file)

Overwrite the original TRD HDF file, with your fresh ES2 version:

[tgolubev@localhost zcu102-base-trd-2016-3]$ cp ~/zynq/sdk_test/zcu102_base_trd_wrapper.hdf apu/petalinux_bsp/hw-description/zcu102_base_trd_wrapper.hdf

Now use normal petalinux flow.

Cheers,

--Tom

Please mark this as a solution, as "getting a copy of a prebuilt ES2 FSBL" is not a solution.

Adventurer

[ Edited ]

Dear all,

I can confirm you have to set SW6 to 0xE for SD boot (some level shifter related configuration). HW : fpga is ES2 / PCB revision1.0

I boot OpenEmbedded linux-xlnx.

But there in an annoying delay in fsbl (several seconds, before bit file flashing...) Do you experienced this issue in fsbl ?

Release 2016.4 Feb 20 2017 - 08:52:33
Platform: Silicon (3.0), Cluster ID 0x80000000
Running on A53-0 (64-bit) Processor, Device Name: XCZU9EG
Board Configuration successful
Processor Initialization Done
================= In Stage 2 ============
SD1 with level shifter Boot Mode
SD: rc= 0
File name is BOOT.BIN
Multiboot Reg : 0x0
Image Header Table Offset 0x8C0
*****Image Header Table Details********
Boot Gen Ver: 0x1020000
No of Partitions: 0x5
Partition Header Address: 0x280
Partition Present Device: 0x0
Initialization Success
======= In Stage 3, Partition No:1 =======
UnEncrypted data Length: 0x65216F
Data word offset: 0x65216F
Total Data word length: 0x65216F
Destination Load Address: 0xFFFFFFFF
Execution Address: 0x0
Data word offset: 0x9300
Partition Attributes: 0x120

TIMEOUT HERE

then resume correctly...

Adventurer

raphael.ponsard wrote:

But there in an annoying delay in fsbl (several seconds, before bit file flashing...) Do you experienced this issue in fsbl ?

Yes, I get a few seconds delay.  Between the bootloader's first two lines and the FPGA done light.

I'm running on ES2, not quite the instructions above. An Ubuntu root fs I downloaded with ES2 versions of a BOOT.BIN, bitstream and dtb copied in to the boot partition.