UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Newbie pgardrat

BPI indirect programming failing with a LX50

Hello Guys,

I have reproduced the same exact issue (than the thread Re: BPI indirect programming on FF1760 board) with a Virtex5 LX50 (xc5vlx50-ff676-1) and a Intel P30 Flash (INTEL28F128P30) and Impact 10.1.02.
What is surprising is that :
_ when the LX50 is loaded using JTAG with a bitstream containing a controller to access the Flash then I am able to write and read in the memory without any issue.
_ another PCB using a LX110, the same flash and the same pcb schematic is working correctly with Impact.

Could this be an issue linked with the bitstream loaded inside the LX50 (10.1/ISE/virtex5/data/xc5vlx50_bpi.cor)?

=========================================
Welcome to iMPACT
iMPACT Version: 10.1.02
Selected part: INTEL28F128P30
// *** BATCH CMD : attachflash -position 1 -bpi "INTEL28F128P30"
// *** BATCH CMD : assignfiletoattachedflash -position 1 -file "C:/Documents and Settings/RD/Mes documents/Pierre/ZSE_FPFC-R&D-8P.mcs"
// *** BATCH CMD : Erase -p 1 -bpionly
Maximum TCK operating frequency for this device chain: 33000000.
Validating chain...
Boundary-scan chain validated successfully.
1: Device Temperature: Current Reading: 36.10 C, Min. Reading: 33.64 C, Max. Reading: 36.10 C
1: VCCINT Supply: Current Reading: 0.996 V, Min. Reading: 0.993 V, Max. Reading: 0.999 V
1: VCCAUX Supply: Current Reading: 2.499 V, Min. Reading: 2.499 V, Max. Reading: 2.502 V
INFO:iMPACT - Error Creating MDM Uart Module
INFO:iMPACT - Failed to initialize MDM interface.
'1': BPI access core not detected. BPI access core will be downloaded to the device to enable operations.
INFO:iMPACT - Downloading core file C:/Xilinx/10.1/ISE/virtex5/data/xc5vlx50_bpi.cor.
PROGRESS_START - Starting Operation.
'1': Downloading core...
Match_cycle = NoWait.
Match cycle: NoWait
done.
'1': Reading status register contents...
INFO:iMPACT:2219 - Status register values:
INFO:iMPACT - 0011 1111 0101 1110 0000 1000 0100 0000
INFO:iMPACT:2492 - '1': Completed downloading core to device.
Match_cycle = NoWait.
Match cycle: NoWait
INFO:iMPACT - '1': Checking done pin....done.
'1': Core downloaded successfully.
INFO:iMPACT - Created an MDM Uart Interface
INFO:iMPACT - Created an MDM FSL Interface
Populating BPI CFI ...
INFO:iMPACT - Failed to query common flash interface.
PROGRESS_END - End Operation.
Elapsed time = 7 sec.
=========================================

Thanks and Regards,
Pierre.
Message Edited by pgardrat on 11-27-2008 08:22 AM
0 Kudos
19 Replies

Re: BPI indirect programming failing with a LX50

Hi,

I'm having the exact same problem with a Hitech Global board HTG-V5-PCIE-330T Rev 2.0. I wonder if the problem is the 

programming core loaded into the fpga, in my case C:/Xilinx/10.1/ISE/virtex5/data/xc5vlx330t_bpi.cor.

Could anyone help out on this? How have you solved the problem? I have several boards and it seems to affect some boards

but not others. Any help much appreciated, or if there is an alternative programming core please let us know.

Regards

Enrico

0 Kudos
Observer dkepley
Observer

Were you able to resolve the issue with Indirect BPI programming?  I have the same problem: Failed to query common flash interface!

Thanks,

Dave Kepley

0 Kudos
Observer zhaochunming
Observer

Were you able to resolve the issue?  I have the same problem: Failed to query common flash interface! with platform flash xl128.
0 Kudos

No, unfortunately I haven't found a solution yet.
0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

update your tool to 10.1.03i first
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't forget to reply, give kudo and accept as solution
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Observer zhaochunming
Observer

My tool is already 10.1.03.
0 Kudos
Newbie urschandu

Hi Friends,

We have used the same flash(XCF128X) on our board and we received the same error.

But we were able  to solve the problem just by changung the way we generated the .mcs file for flash in impact.

I would like to give you the procedure for the same.

Steps:

1.Open impact.

2.Generate PROM file.

3.Select Xilinx PROM

MCS file.

FF as hex code

4.My flash is Parallel and bit width same as FPGA

5.Select my flash(XCF128X)

6.Finish

Then generate the mcs file by right clicking on the flash. 

Then initialize the JTAg chain.

1.Then Add the BIT file  and enable the option enable BRI flash.

2.Add the mcs file and Program the flash.

We still had some problem in one of our brs and found out it was an assembling issue.

I use 10.1.03 

Let me know if you need any other infomation.

Observer zhaochunming
Observer

Dear urschandu,

Can you tell me the former way that you generated the .mcs file for flash in impact (received the same error)? So i can know the difference between the former way and the new way. We used the same way as you give as above but still can't query the common flash.

By the way, which FPGA configuration method you used in your board? Master SelectMAP, Slave SelectMAP or Master BPI-UP? In the user guide, there is no information about the bpi.cor. So i can't know which configuration method the bpi.cor supports.

0 Kudos

I follow the documented method for generating the mcs file. I have 2 identical boards. On one board the BPI flash

programming works fine and on the other it fails with the "Can't query common flash interface" error.

The mcs file is the same, if the mcs file generation was the problem it should not work on either board.

0 Kudos
Newbie urschandu

Hi,

We manufactured five boards with LX220T and we found that three of them had the Assembling issue for FPGA.(The error occured at this stage)

Other two boards with the same flash worked fine.

We tried reprogramming the flash after the board underwent reflow process again and is working well.

FPGA balls had dry soldering in the middle of its core.

Regards,

Chandu
Message Edited by urschandu on 02-09-2009 07:39 PM
0 Kudos
Observer zhaochunming
Observer

Hi,Friend,

We have 3 boards with lx220t. All boards can't query the common flash interface.

But they all work well when they are configured by the JTAG chain. So i can hardly believe it is due to the assembling error of the FPGA balls.

0 Kudos
Visitor atacomm
Visitor

I too am having this problem on an LX30T.

However mine is more sparatic from what I can tell.

I have not successfully at this point programmed the flash...that always fails.

However I have successfully erased the chip about 50% of the time (the other times, erase fails).

I also can verify the chip is empty.

I have suspected maybe its a power related problem during the erase or program cycles, but I really can't tell at this point.  I would assume if it was an assembly issue it would be 100% consistent in where it fails and what message I get, but maybe I'm wrong.

Any ideas?

and an Intel 28F640J3

Dan

Tags (3)
0 Kudos

yeah,I have same problem to config three  vsx50t by daisychained FPGA applications. I have cut off done signal each, and pull up both. I can progam the mcs file into flash, but only zhe first 50t can run ,the others two 50t are not configration!  what 's the problem? The first one is BPI mode ,the others is Slave SelectMAP mode!

0 Kudos
Observer zhaochunming
Observer

No answers yet. Can anybody give me some advices on how to solve this problem?
0 Kudos
Visitor duncandavis
Visitor

Hi did anyone ever resolve this?

We're currently having a similar problem. We were using an LX50-FF676 with an Intel StrataFlash 128 P30. This was working no problem for over a year. All we've done is move  to an LX85-FF676 and Impact can no longer program the Flash with the FPGA image. If we use Impact/JTAG to download a bitstream with a Flash controller in the design, we can access the Flash without a problem - so we don't think there's a solder problem with our boards.

In a nutshell Impact can program all of our LX50 boards' FLASH, but cannot program all of our LX85 boards' FLASH. Other than the FPGA, the boards are identical.

We've been using ISE 10.1.03

We've been wondering if anyone (Xilinx in particular) have successfully programmed a Flash via an LX85, however, now seeing this thread, I guess others might have been wondering about the LX50.

0 Kudos
Visitor duncandavis
Visitor

Well I've found a solution to my problem.  Read on

At 10.1.03 and almost certainly 11.1 ISE, the bpi_cor for the LX85 is wrong. When you look at the file in your ISE installation it is the bpi_cor for the LX85T (if you go off filesize).

Each family member has a bpi_cor and an spi_cor which should be the same filesize.

I took the LX85 bpi_cor from my 9.2 ISE installation and dropped it into my 10.1.03 installation and now everything is fine.

We can now use Impact to program the FLASH.

Xilinx are now aware of this.

0 Kudos
Observer dkepley
Observer

I had this problem as it says below.  I was never able to resolve it before being pulled from that program and then laid-off.  The instrumented the FPGA to flash interface and it had the correct data for a ways, then the data was bogus and then stopped.  The one thing I did not have as the App Notes specify was the CCLK terminated external to the FPGA. 

That is my presumption at this point, since it is highly unlikely I will have the oppurtunity to test it again. 

I saw the suggestion below about how to generate the PROM file.  Basically, to NOT left-click on the "Generate PROM" link on the left-hand side of the window, but instead right-click and select "generate PROM" from the drop-down menu.  I have heard of problems with selecting the links on the left side, so it might be worth a try.

Dave

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor seu_jimmy
Visitor

Hi. Have you resolved this problem.3 years later, i also meet the same error: Failed to query common flash interface.

Thx!!

seu_jimmy

Tags (1)
0 Kudos

seu_jimmy,

Might I suggest that you start a new thread in the Design Tools - Others forum to get more traction on this (http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Design-Tools-Others/bd-p/OTHER) ?   That is where questions on impact are answered, and there should be iMPACT programming experts monitoring that forum.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos