cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Bi directional communication on FMC 105 Debug Card?

Jump to solution

Hello, 

I'm trying to test a flash memory IC and I'm connecting to it using some pins on the FMC 105 debug card. The memory device uses bi-directional pins for communication. Can I do this on the FMC105 card or is there something about it that stops me from doing bi-directional signaling? 

Thank you, 

David H 

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Bi directional communication on FMC 105 Debug Card?

Jump to solution

Hi David,

The image below of the FMC 105 board is from UG537.   This board is essentially a breakout from the FMC connector, (1), to the many other connectors on the board.  The board also has a clock generator, U2, and IIC EEPROM, (15), and a bunch of LEDs.

So, as far as the board is concerned, many of the connections are just wires and are therefore bidirectional.

FMC105_board.jpg

Also, on many of the Xilinx boards, there is a direct connection from the FPGA to the FMC connector.  This means that the FPGA-to-FMC connections are also often bidirectional.  However, this direct-connect to the FPGA makes it easy to damage the FPGA - so, caution and good ESD practice is needed.

Cheers,
Mark

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Highlighted

Jump to solution

Hi David,

The image below of the FMC 105 board is from UG537.   This board is essentially a breakout from the FMC connector, (1), to the many other connectors on the board.  The board also has a clock generator, U2, and IIC EEPROM, (15), and a bunch of LEDs.

So, as far as the board is concerned, many of the connections are just wires and are therefore bidirectional.

FMC105_board.jpg

Also, on many of the Xilinx boards, there is a direct connection from the FPGA to the FMC connector.  This means that the FPGA-to-FMC connections are also often bidirectional.  However, this direct-connect to the FPGA makes it easy to damage the FPGA - so, caution and good ESD practice is needed.

Cheers,
Mark

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Jump to solution

Thank you for the confirmation. 

-David 

0 Kudos