UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Explorer
Explorer

CMOS standard FPGA

Hello,

I am using an Artix 7 FPGA.

I need to receive 3 signals from an ADC (SPI link) and output one. They are CMOS inputs and outputs.

I also need to output 16 CMOS signals to a NI DAQ

But i don't know which parameters to look to see if it is compatible with LVCMOS_25 standards

Due to my design i can only use LVCMOS_25 for both inputs and outputs of the FPGA.

Here are the parameters for both the ADC (SPI)  and the NI DAQ.

cmos.png
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Explorer
Explorer

Re: CMOS standard FPGA

CMOSNI.png
0 Kudos
Scholar u4223374
Scholar

The challenge is going to be the maximum voltage into an FPGA pin. For an LVCMOS25 input, the maximum input voltage for a pin is 2.8V.

The LM98640 will probably output very close to 3.3V (the true maximum isn't specified, but at zero current it's definitely going to be over 3V).

The NI DAQ is probably 3.3V too, but if you add pull-up resistors (or use the FPGA internal ones) to 2.5V then you'll be able to run the DAQ I/O in open-collector mode. This solves the problem, but it'll limit the speed you can achieve.

Explorer
Explorer

If an input comes to an FPGA at 3,3 V on a pin that has the standard LVCMOS25 will it damage the FPGA?

0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Is it from this figure that we can see that the maximum input voltage for a pin is 2.8V?

dckintex.png
0 Kudos
Scholar u4223374
Scholar

Correct. If you have a pin expecting LVCMOS25 (and therefore using VCCO = 2.5V) then above 2.8V will put you above the rated voltage.

The absolute maximum rating (Table 1 in DS181) is VCCO + 0.55, or 3.05V. This results in three regions:

Below 2.8V - no damage, correct operation is guaranteed

2.8V to 3.05V - won't cause damage, but not guaranteed to work correctly

Above 3.05V - permanent damage occurs

0 Kudos