cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Explorer
Explorer

Changing the AC701 VADJ... the hack-ish way

Jump to solution

Not so much a question as it is a gripe.

So the AC701 FMC header comes configured as VADJ=2.5V. I need 1.8V. I don't have the special TI USB to PMBus adapter or a Windows machine handy to run the their tool. And hack an XML file? Right.

What to do?

After weighing my options... the answer is... get out the soldering iron and swap the resistors R204 and R435 (version 2.0 schematic.) Then, VADJ comes up at 1.8V. About 2 minutes work and zero dollars in equipment.

Q: Is there any unintended effect of making this change, or should it be OK?

Xilinx people, I have two observations / feedback items:

(1) Why doesn't AC701 VADJ come this way from the factory? VC707 and VC709 are 1.8V by default (I know, the bigger Virtex parts can't do higher than 1.8, but still - should be somewhat consistent across platforms, yes?)

(2) There should be a way to do change VADJ without the headache of messing with PMBus. That's a huge investment in time just to make one adjustment. How about having that fancy TI controller read straps? I know that seems anachonistic, considering what PMBus can do, but in this case PMBus is an impediment, not a help.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer

Re: Changing the AC701 VADJ... the hack-ish way

Jump to solution
Followup: I can attest that this mod works fine - been using the board this way for months.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Hi @vortex1601,

Xilinx doesn't recommend to make any physical changes to the boards. It will void your board warranty.

Thanks and Regards,

Deepak D N

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please Reply or Give Kudos or Mark it as an Accepted Solution

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Regards,
Deepak D N
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please Kudo and Accept as a Solution, If it helps.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution

I (well, my employer) can live with that. I already had to grind down the SMB's next to the FMC header because they don't clear my test board.

Now, to my question, is there a side-effect of making that resistor change? I'm thinking no, but I'd like to confirm.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution
Followup: I can attest that this mod works fine - been using the board this way for months.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Jump to solution
@vortex1601, this has also worked for me. Good idea. Since they make it a pain to change FMC_ADJ_SEL[1:0] away from the default "00", simply make "00" the value that sets VADJ to 1.8V. Who needs warranties anyway?