UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor rilhas
Visitor

CoolRunner II Starter Kit IC3 Oscillator

Jump to solution

Hi,

Does anyone know the details about oscillators in the CoolRunner II Starter Kit rev. D? I'm interested in getting the board to operate at a much higher frequency than the 1MHz of the LTC6900, and I would like to use an oscillator on socket IC3 (8 pin DIP).

The manual just states "A socket for a standard half-size DIP oscillator is provided at location IC3", but that is not enough information for me to understand what "standard" and "half-size DIP" mean.

Does anyone know the 8-pin socket pinout? Or what oscillator part numbers are compatible with this IC3 socket? Maybe a part number from Farnell or Mouser? Does anyone know what the upper frequency limit for this oscillator is?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Instructor
Instructor

Re: CoolRunner II Starter Kit IC3 Oscillator

Jump to solution

The standard 1/2 DIP oscillator only uses the 4 corner pins of the 8-pin DIP footprint and

from my experience the pinout is standard, but you need to select the proper operating

voltage, frequency, logic standard, and fourth pin function (usually either none, power

down, or output enable).  Here's a representative 1/2 DIP 3.3V oscillator from DigiKey:

OSCILLATOR 32.000MHZ 3.3V 1/2-SZ

CoolRunner II can run pretty fast.  I don't think you'll have problems with most

off-the shelf oscillators (under 100 MHz).  What frequency do you need for your

project?

-- Gabor

-- Gabor

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Instructor
Instructor

Jump to solution

The standard 1/2 DIP oscillator only uses the 4 corner pins of the 8-pin DIP footprint and

from my experience the pinout is standard, but you need to select the proper operating

voltage, frequency, logic standard, and fourth pin function (usually either none, power

down, or output enable).  Here's a representative 1/2 DIP 3.3V oscillator from DigiKey:

OSCILLATOR 32.000MHZ 3.3V 1/2-SZ

CoolRunner II can run pretty fast.  I don't think you'll have problems with most

off-the shelf oscillators (under 100 MHz).  What frequency do you need for your

project?

-- Gabor

-- Gabor

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Teacher eteam00
Teacher

Jump to solution

And similar device from Mouser.

-- Bob Elkind

SIGNATURE:
README for newbies is here: http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/New-Users-Forum/README-first-Help-for-new-users/td-p/219369

Summary:
1. Read the manual or user guide. Have you read the manual? Can you find the manual?
2. Search the forums (and search the web) for similar topics.
3. Do not post the same question on multiple forums.
4. Do not post a new topic or question on someone else's thread, start a new thread!
5. Students: Copying code is not the same as learning to design.
6 "It does not work" is not a question which can be answered. Provide useful details (with webpage, datasheet links, please).
7. You are not charged extra fees for comments in your code.
8. I am not paid for forum posts. If I write a good post, then I have been good for nothing.
0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution
  • You can use higher frequency than 1 M Hz. No problem. LTC6900 supports 1kHz to 20MHz Frequency Range (Refer data sheet LTC6900 from http://www.linear.com/product/LTC6900 ). You can use an oscillator on socket IC3 (8 pin DIP). No issue.
  • Half size means 8-pin DIP Socket size. In general Crystal oscillators available in half size (8-pin DIP socket size) or normal/full size (14-pin dip socket size). In Half size DIP crystal oscillator

Thanks & Regards

Mahesh

Kind request:

To users: Kindly accept particular post which helped you.

Forum moderator: Please KUDO if you think Answer is OK

Mahesh
0 Kudos
Visitor rilhas
Visitor

Jump to solution

Hi! Thanks for your reply!

I have used such oscillators in the past, my main problem is with the IC3 pinout. But if my interpretation of your tip is correct then I'll be able to try it out (I'll measure for voltage - probably 3.3V - and try to detect if the 4th pin has any functionality by guessing... I think it is likely that it is not used, is the only way to explain why Xilinx would not have commented further on it!).

I would like to get 60MHz of above, but not for any specific project. I'm using the CoolRunner II Starter Kit as a development platform that I use to try out other chips and solutions, generate test signals, etc., and I would like to get it to run as fast as possible (although my oscilloscope is prety much useless beyond about 60MHz) as I find it to be a great complement to microcontroller-based test platforms that I already use.

Thanks again!

0 Kudos
Visitor rilhas
Visitor

Jump to solution
1. Yes. Nothing else ther but the sentence I copied.

2. I did. Nothing came up. In fact, since I didn't get notified of the replies you guys posted here, I googled "coolrunner ic3" and my post came up first. So, trusting Google, I guess there was nothing else on the web that was close to what I needed.

... and Kudo to you for reminding us of the tips! :-)

0 Kudos
Visitor rilhas
Visitor

Jump to solution
Thanks for your reply. I've used LTC6900 before, but it is already assembled on the starter kit with 3 frequency options, being the highest 1MHz )that's what I meant by "1MHz of the LTC6900", in the context of the starter kit.

PS: I have accepted Gabor's solution and now it seems I can't accept any other, altough yours is also very helpful. So, for what its worth, thanks-and-accepted-as-solution! :-)
0 Kudos