UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Participant josemao0
Participant

FMC Connector for LVDS implementation + Kintex 7

Jump to solution

Hello, 

I plan to design an expanssion board to be able to use LVDS DDR signals from FMC_HPC (J22) connector in Kintex 7 KC705 Evaliation FPGA. I see in the documentation I have the posibility to use HA and LA signals.

My doubt is:

- If I use LA or HA signals, do I have to drive those FMC_HPC_HA_CC/FMC_HPC_LA_CC (with external SMA connectors for example) from FMC for LVDS, or I can use another internal signal to generate LDVS outputs?. 

- Is it better to use LA or HA, or I can use both of then without any problem?. Is there any specific recomendation for it?

I appreciate all the support and time spend in my query,

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

回复: FMC Connector for LVDS implementation + Kintex 7

Jump to solution

_CC pins are clock capable pins.  These should be used as the preferred signals for clocks in source synchronous applications.  It is also recommended that particular _CC pins be chosen, depending on what your preferred I/O signals are, for example use LA00 as your primary _CC signal if you are using LA01-LA16, use LA17 as your primary _CC signal if using LA18-LA33 and so on.

There is no real difference between LA, HA or HB, as far as I know, only that they are located in different banks of different headers.  LA are user defined signals in Bank A of the LPC and HPC.  HA are user defined signals in Bank A of the HPC, and HB are user defined signals in Bank B of the HPC.  Each bank has a different reference voltage pin.  Not all FMC cards or Carrier cards support both LPC and HPC, so make sure you check that the combination you are trying to use support the Bank you wish to use for your pins.

I would recommend you purchase the VITA FMC standard to get more information on signalling and connections from Carrier to Mezzanine card.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
5 Replies
Scholar watari
Scholar

Re: FMC Connector for LVDS implementation + Kintex 7

Jump to solution

Hi @josemao0

Would you share your target frequency ?

Because of it depends on your application.

Best regards,

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Hi @josemao0,

Please the answer below:

- If I use LA or HA signals, do I have to drive those FMC_HPC_HA_CC/FMC_HPC_LA_CC (with external SMA connectors for example) from FMC for LVDS, or I can use another internal signal to generate LDVS outputs?. 

Every FPGA IO differential pairs can generate LVDS output, so you can use any FMC differential pair signals.

- Is it better to use LA or HA, or I can use both of then without any problem?. Is there any specific recomendation for it?

I think there is no difference between LA and HA signals for LVDS, but you need to check the board you used. Not every signals on the FMC connector are connected to the FPGA pins. So make sure the signals you used are connected to the FPGA IO.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Participant josemao0
Participant

Re: FMC Connector for LVDS implementation + Kintex 7

Jump to solution

Hi @watari,

My target frequency is max. 300MHz/600Mpbs and I would like to clarify some facts.

- For the use of GTX I use MGTREFCLK signal in bank 118 on KC705, the MGTREFCLK needs to come from FMC card and I will use a pair of SMA connectors to drive the GBTCLK0 (this bc I have 4 GTX in FMC_HPC connector and I am able to use one reference to up to 12 GTX. Please correct me if I am wrong). 

I know the regular IO can be used up to 1600Mb/s and I am planing to use them. For LA and HA signals I want to implement DDR Deserialization, but I find the possible clocks to use as Data/Frame/CLK are from  MMCM/PLL. 

Similarly as it is for GTX that I have to drive the GBTCLK0, if I use LA and HA signals do I have to drive any signal from FMC connector M2C to be able to use them, like for example the ones in the picture attached in red circles (CC - clock capable)? or I can indiscriminately use any of them?.

What is it better to use HA or LA?, May I use a combination of then, like some LVDS signals coming from LA  and some coming from HA or do you recommend to use only one type of them?.

Any other suggestion to use LA and HA signals for DDR deserializer implementation?. 

Thanks for your time

FMC_HPC.PNG
0 Kudos
Participant josemao0
Participant

Jump to solution

Hi @zhiq,

My target frequency is max. 300MHz/600Mpbs and I would like to clarify some facts.

- For the use of GTX I use MGTREFCLK signal in bank 118 on KC705, the MGTREFCLK needs to come from FMC card and I will use a pair of SMA connectors to drive the GBTCLK0 (this bc I have 4 GTX in FMC_HPC connector and I am able to use one reference to up to 12 GTX. Please correct me if I am wrong). 

I know the regular IO can be used up to 1600Mb/s and I am planing to use them. For LA and HA signals I want to implement DDR Deserialization, but I find the possible clocks to use as Data/Frame/CLK are from  MMCM/PLL. 

Similarly as it is for GTX that I have to drive the GBTCLK0, if I use LA and HA signals do I have to drive any signal from FMC connector M2C to be able to use them, like for example the ones in the picture attached in red circles (CC - clock capable)? or I can indiscriminately use any of them?.

What is it better to use HA or LA?, May I use a combination of then, like some LVDS signals coming from LA  and some coming from HA or do you recommend to use only one type of them?.

Any other suggestion to use LA and HA signals for DDR deserializer implementation?. 

Thanks for your time

FMC_HPC.PNG
0 Kudos

Jump to solution

_CC pins are clock capable pins.  These should be used as the preferred signals for clocks in source synchronous applications.  It is also recommended that particular _CC pins be chosen, depending on what your preferred I/O signals are, for example use LA00 as your primary _CC signal if you are using LA01-LA16, use LA17 as your primary _CC signal if using LA18-LA33 and so on.

There is no real difference between LA, HA or HB, as far as I know, only that they are located in different banks of different headers.  LA are user defined signals in Bank A of the LPC and HPC.  HA are user defined signals in Bank A of the HPC, and HB are user defined signals in Bank B of the HPC.  Each bank has a different reference voltage pin.  Not all FMC cards or Carrier cards support both LPC and HPC, so make sure you check that the combination you are trying to use support the Bank you wish to use for your pins.

I would recommend you purchase the VITA FMC standard to get more information on signalling and connections from Carrier to Mezzanine card.

Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.