UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor kgdqqfgesky3
Visitor

How can i measure ZC706 si5324 clock with oscilloscope

Jump to solution

Hi everyone! I'm trying to do the CPRI loopback test with SFP GTX on ZC706 board.I don't have any differential clock source,so I want to use the clock generated by si5324.In order to measure the si5324 output clock,I connect the PIN AC7/AC8 (wire to SI5324_out_n/p on zc706board) to an IBUFGDS  I/IB.Then I connect the output of IBUFGDS to OBUFDS Input port.Finally I connect the OBUFDS diff_p/n output to PIN AD18/AD19 (SMA_USR_CLK) so I can measure them easily.

But the vivado implementation get critical warning:Cannot set LOC property of ports,Could not legally place instance IBUFGDS at AC8(IPAD_X1Y40) since it belongs to a shape containing instance sys_clk_n.The shape requires relative placement between IBUFGDS inst and sys_clk_n that cannot be honoured because it would result in an invalid location for sys_clk_n.

write bitstream also has rule violation error:Unspecified I/O standard sys_clk_n,sys_clk_p.in the I/O Pin page,I try to set sys_clk_n/p to AC8 but it turns out "invalid ports" and so on.That means I could not place clock on PIN AC7/8 .

PIN AC7/8 belong to GTXREFCLK and I connect them to IBUFGDS instance,could this be the reason of error?If so,what can I do to connect the si5324 output clock to  measurable SMA ports?

Thank you

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: How can i measure ZC706 si5324 clock with oscilloscope

Jump to solution

Hi @kgdqqfgesky3,

As you mentioned, AC7/8 is dedicated pins for GT reference clock, so you cannot route the clock into them like general IO.

Please refer to UG476, Figure 3-28. If you want to use the GT reference clock to fabric, you must use the IBUFDS_GTE2 primitive as below screenshot.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Capture.JPG
4 Replies
Scholar hbucher
Scholar

Jump to solution

@kgdqqfgesky3  Why dont' you use the Si5324 to feed a binary counter then slice it into the LEDs? 26:28 would give you a period of 4.64 seconds 

vitorian.com --- We do this for fun. Always give kudos. Accept as solution if your question was answered.
I will not answer to personal messages - use the forums instead.
0 Kudos
Visitor kgdqqfgesky3
Visitor

Jump to solution

Hi,thanks for your apply.But the problem is I can't get the si5324 output clock into FPGA,because the place PIN error.

1.png2.png

As you see in the ZC706 schematic,the si5324 output have been connect to ZYNQ PIN AC7/8.But when I place clock input on AC7/8,I got error message.So I can't drive the LED with si5324 output clock source.

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Hi @kgdqqfgesky3,

As you mentioned, AC7/8 is dedicated pins for GT reference clock, so you cannot route the clock into them like general IO.

Please refer to UG476, Figure 3-28. If you want to use the GT reference clock to fabric, you must use the IBUFDS_GTE2 primitive as below screenshot.

Capture.JPG
Visitor kgdqqfgesky3
Visitor

Jump to solution

Thanks a lot!Your solution really works.I use ibufds_gte2-->BUFG-->ODDR-->OBUFDS primitives,the output of OBUFDS connect to SMA ports.No more errors.After program si5324 via PS_IIC,I can see the 125M Clock in the oscilloscope.

The design resource of Rdf0217-vc707-si5324 is really helpful.Attached file "gtxe2_top" is a reference for those who  have the same problem.

0 Kudos