Visitor

How to connect ADC to virtex 2 pro fpga board

I have a dual ADC .How do I connect to the Virtex 2 pro FPGA board

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Highlighted
Instructor
Instructor

I have a dual ADC .How do I connect to the Virtex 2 pro FPGA board.

1. Read the ADC datasheet
  2. Read the FPGA board schematics for available pins and connectors
  3. Design the ADC board to electrically connect to the FPGA
  4. Design the FPGA code to logically connect to and control the ADC
  5. Compile, simulate, debug, and load the FPGA design.

If you know of a similar, working design that you can copy, this might speed up your work.

-- Bob Elkind

SIGNATURE:
README for newbies is here: http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/New-Users-Forum/README-first-Help-for-new-users/td-p/219369

Summary:
1. Read the manual or user guide. Have you read the manual? Can you find the manual?
2. Search the forums (and search the web) for similar topics.
3. Do not post the same question on multiple forums.
4. Do not post a new topic or question on someone else's thread, start a new thread!
5. Students: Copying code is not the same as learning to design.
6 "It does not work" is not a question which can be answered. Provide useful details (with webpage, datasheet links, please).
7. You are not charged extra fees for comments in your code.
8. I am not paid for forum posts. If I write a good post, then I have been good for nothing.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Thanks!

Could you please check the diagram in this link? I have the same ADC model.

http://www.digilentinc.com/Data/Products/PMOD-AD1/Pmod%20AD1_rm.pdf

I understand the following from the 'AD1 circuit diagram'.

1)Left side pins:

a)CS, Clk, GND and Vcc are inputs which we have to give from the FPGA board.

b)Data1 and Data2 are ADC outputs.

2)Right side pins:

a)P1 and P3 are the analog signal inputs.

b)I have not understood the use of pins P2,P4,P5 and P6.

Further, I think that Clk gives the sampling frequency with which we sample the analog signal.

Please check the above.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Instructor
Instructor

1)Left side pins:

a)CS, Clk, GND and Vcc are inputs which we have to give from the FPGA board.

b)Data1 and Data2 are ADC outputs.

2)Right side pins:

a)P1 and P3 are the analog signal inputs.

b)I have not understood the use of pins P2,P4,P5 and P6.

J2 P2, P4, P5 are GND (for Ground) connections.  J2 P6 is VCC (power supply) connection.

Have you read the ADC datasheet?

Is this your first hardware design project?

-- Bob Elkind

SIGNATURE:
README for newbies is here: http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/New-Users-Forum/README-first-Help-for-new-users/td-p/219369

Summary:
1. Read the manual or user guide. Have you read the manual? Can you find the manual?
4. Do not post a new topic or question on someone else's thread, start a new thread!
6 "It does not work" is not a question which can be answered. Provide useful details (with webpage, datasheet links, please).
8. I am not paid for forum posts. If I write a good post, then I have been good for nothing.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Thanks a lot for the reply.

Yes, this is my first hardware project.
The ADC data-sheet is very complex though. I would appreciate it if you could tell how you would have done it i.e. what connections with the FPGA board would you have made?
(We're working with a Virtex 2 pro FPGA board.)
Also, do we need to give a very high frequency clock at J1P4? We are currently giving a slow clock so that we can see the serial output bits (of the ADC) through an oscilloscope.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Instructor
Instructor

I would recommend that you take some electronics engineering courses.  Your limited knowledge is obstructing you in many ways, and reading an ADC datasheet is just one of your hurdles to overcome.

Some structured hardware instruction and mentoring would be very helpful to you.  You can learn this on your own (which is how I learned this stuff), but it takes a great amount of determination and persistence.

Trying to learn this stuff in little bitty pieces via forum postings is a horribly tedious and inefficient means for instruction.  Maybe you have the time and patience for this, but for those of us who must devote time and attention to our own livelihood and families, this is asking more than most are willing to freely contribute on an ongoing basis.  Not to mention it is a great imposition on our hosts, who have an interest in supporting the Xilinx design community rather than providing extended, ongoing ad-hoc training courses in the basics of hardware engineering.

Perhaps some of your project colleagues are willing to provide some mentoring and instruction for you.  They have the advantage of face-to-face discussions and in-person demonstrations and training.

-- Bob Elkind

SIGNATURE:

Summary:
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

1. From ADC data sheet find out what are the digital interface and its IO standard. 2. Select free IO pin in same bank. 3. That bank voltage & IO standards in FPGA pins should be matching with the ADC digital interface IO standard 4. Generate core and instantiate if requires. For example if ADC digital interface is SPI then you have to instantiate SPI core in FPGA 5. Write code and as per application requirement There are no direct application notes for Virtex-II Pro. But the below application notes wrote for other devices. You can refer for idea purpose http://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/application_notes/xapp355.pdf http://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/application_notes/xapp1071_V6_ADC_DAC_LVDS.pdf
0 Kudos