UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor applelonger
Visitor

How to use the LCD on the ML506 board?

Jump to solution

Hi,everyone!

I am trying to show something (for example a string "abc") on the LCD of the ML506 board.

And I really meet troubles.

Can anybody tell me how to start it?

Thanks very much!

Lin

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Instructor
Instructor

Re: How to use the LCD on the ML506 board?

Jump to solution

I totally have no idea how to do it.
I think I should use a state machine to transfer the "ABC" to what the LCD can know, but I don't know the rule.

Download the ML506 reference design files, and study the LCD interface implementation in the reference design.  You can proceed with one of the following approaches:

• re-write the reference design logic from scratch
  • use reference design as a baseline, and make incremental changes to customise it to your purposes. (recommended)

And I can't find how to link the LCD pins to the FPGA either.

Use the .UCF file provided with the reference design.  The signal <=>package pin mapping is captured in the .UCF file.  It is an ASCII text file, simple to edit and view.  There should be no reason to edit the file, it should work well without changes.

-- Bob Elkind

SIGNATURE:
README for newbies is here: http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/New-Users-Forum/README-first-Help-for-new-users/td-p/219369

Summary:
1. Read the manual or user guide. Have you read the manual? Can you find the manual?
2. Search the forums (and search the web) for similar topics.
3. Do not post the same question on multiple forums.
4. Do not post a new topic or question on someone else's thread, start a new thread!
5. Students: Copying code is not the same as learning to design.
6 "It does not work" is not a question which can be answered. Provide useful details (with webpage, datasheet links, please).
7. You are not charged extra fees for comments in your code.
8. I am not paid for forum posts. If I write a good post, then I have been good for nothing.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Instructor
Instructor

Jump to solution

what troubles are you meeting?

-- Bob Elkind

SIGNATURE:
README for newbies is here: http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/New-Users-Forum/README-first-Help-for-new-users/td-p/219369

Summary:
1. Read the manual or user guide. Have you read the manual? Can you find the manual?
4. Do not post a new topic or question on someone else's thread, start a new thread!
6 "It does not work" is not a question which can be answered. Provide useful details (with webpage, datasheet links, please).
8. I am not paid for forum posts. If I write a good post, then I have been good for nothing.
0 Kudos
Visitor applelonger
Visitor

Jump to solution
Hi,Bob.

I think I should use a state machine to transfer the "ABC" to what the LCD can know, but I don't know the rule.
0 Kudos
Instructor
Instructor

Jump to solution

Download the ML506 reference design files, and study the LCD interface implementation in the reference design.  You can proceed with one of the following approaches:

• re-write the reference design logic from scratch
  • use reference design as a baseline, and make incremental changes to customise it to your purposes. (recommended)

Use the .UCF file provided with the reference design.  The signal <=>package pin mapping is captured in the .UCF file.  It is an ASCII text file, simple to edit and view.  There should be no reason to edit the file, it should work well without changes.

-- Bob Elkind

SIGNATURE:

Summary:

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Visitor applelonger
Visitor

Jump to solution

Thanks , Bob.

I will try to do it.

Lin

0 Kudos