cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
imran1970

Is 1GHz attainable on ML506 (Virtex-5) ?

Hi all

Just a newbie question: The ML506 board comes with a 100 MHz single ended clock, and the onboard IDT5V9885 clock generator IC provides 200 MHz deifferential clock as well. Can I generate 1GHz clock from either of the two clocks? And secondly, if I do manage to design something for 1GHz operation, can the Virtex-5 actually operate at this speed? Thanks in advance.

Imran.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
john.h
Explorer
Explorer

Since the Virtex-5 series DCM maxes out at 450MHz-550MHz depending on speed grade and the PLL runs from 450MHz to 710MHz depending on device and speed grade, you cannot generate a 1 GHz clock with the ML506.  You may, however, produce a 1Gb/s interface using DDR logic built into the FPGA circuitry.

The I/O are good up to 1.25Gb/s with the LVDS interface but only 800Mb/s on single-ended.

0 Kudos
imran1970

Many thanks, John, for your reply. This brings up my next question: If I connect an external clock source operating at, say, 1GHz, will Virtex-5 be able to operate on that speed? Or will I have to go one step higher and try out ML605 instead?
0 Kudos
john.h
Explorer
Explorer

The issue is with the capabilities of the FPGA: it's clock distribution capabilities and the associated I/O.  Take a look at the data sheet for the specific FPGA device on your board and you'll find in the DC and AC switching characteristics limit the performance.  I haven't looked at the ML605 myself (I'm just another engineer who works with Xilinx devices more than with Xilinx boards) but imagine there's not yet 2Gb/s general I/O.

If you want to use the MGT transcievers, youhave to have a device/board with the MGTs and capable of 2Gb/s operation to deliver a 1Gb/s clock.

0 Kudos
imran1970

I'm grateful for your prompt reply, John. I guess I'll have to stick to the Virtex-5 and use DCM/PLL to achieve the highest speed possible. Having never used these features before, this looks an uphill task :)
0 Kudos