cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

JTAG UART console on ML507 development board

Hi,

How can I configure a XPS 11.5 project, so that I can get the std in and out messages using the JTAG port with a platform USB II device? 

Most of the examples talk about using a hyperterminal configured with the RS232 port. I don't have a legacy RS232 port on my laptop, and got a USB to RS232 converter but don't have a null serial modem cable, and it'll probably take a few days for me to get on. I'm eager to move on, and start working on a specific project, so I would appreciate it, if someone could give me a solution, and get the console output through the JTAG port. 

Best regards,

Elvis Dowson

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi,

Which processor you are using? We can think of using MDM  as a terminal if you are using Microblaze.

Thnx

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi,

I want to use the PowerPC 440 processor, but I'm okay if you can give me the instructions on how to do it with MicroBlaze to begin with.

Best regards,

Elvis Dowson

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi,

To be able to receive useful output a JTAG UART (via the MDM core) can be used.

To connect to the processor's STDOUT,

1. Once the bitstream is downloaded, open up an XMD console by clicking on

Xilinx Tools  View XMD Console

2. Connect to the MDM UART in the XMD console, by typing in

connect mdm -uart.

3. Open a TCP terminal tunnel in XMD, by typing in

terminal -jtag_uart_server 4321

4. Connect a hyperterminal session via TCP/IP to localhost:4321 (4321 is the TCP terminal

port opened by in the previous step). This establishes a connection to the JTAG UART,

tunneled via TCP/IP by XMD. Thus there can be two hyperterminal window open, each

displaying output from the corresponding processor.

This is outlined in XAPP996 http://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/application_notes/xapp996.pdf

Thnx

Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi,

In XPS 11.5, I do not see an option for an OPB MDM IP Core. I recall reading somewhere that the use of the OPB is depreciated now. I already have a PLB v46 bus in the PowerPC 440 design, so 

a. I don't know how to add an OPB bus now, to the design,

b. adding a PLB to OPB bridge, and then an OPB MDM peripheral seems to be a really round about way to do something that should be standard. Why didn't you guys create a PLB IP block to support console output via JTAG, instead of the UART?

Best regards,

Elvis

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi,

You can use MDM core instead of OPB_MDM.

Here is how your MHS section for MDM should look like:-

BEGIN mdm
 PARAMETER INSTANCE = mdm_0
 PARAMETER C_USE_UART = 1
 PARAMETER C_UART_WIDTH = 8
 PARAMETER HW_VER = 1.00.e
 PARAMETER C_BASEADDR = 0x84400000
 PARAMETER C_HIGHADDR = 0x8440ffff
 BUS_INTERFACE SPLB = plb
END

Here is the MSS

BEGIN OS
 PARAMETER OS_NAME = standalone
 PARAMETER OS_VER = 2.00.a
 PARAMETER PROC_INSTANCE = ppc405_0
 PARAMETER STDIN = mdm_0
 PARAMETER STDOUT = mdm_0
END

IMHO I dont feel there should be a problem with ML507

Thnx.

0 Kudos