cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Adventurer
Adventurer

JTAG cable mysteriously stopped working

I've had good success programming my ML605 board with the included USB JTAG cable up to this point.  Recently, though, I went away for a few days (leaving my lab computer on, but locked).  Now that I've returned and rebooted the computer, it will no longer recognize the USB JTAG cable.  When I plug the cable in, the Found New Hardware wizard does not appear, and Windows sees the cable as an "Unknown Device."  It reports error code 43: "Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems."  iMPACT gives the following warning:

WARNING:iMPACT:923 - Can not find cable, check cable setup !

Apart from the possibility of some automatic updates while I was gone, I haven't made any changes to the computer since the last time I successfully programmed the board.  So what could be causing this, and how do I fix it?  I've tried rebooting again, swapping USB ports, and swapping cables, all to no effect.

I am using ISE 12.1 with Windows 7 (32 bit).  My cable is one of the USB A-miniB cable that come with the ML605 kit.

0 Kudos
10 Replies

I would also try to do the programming with Chipscope, with the change recommended in AR #33598.  If it doesn't work it may give you more error information.  You don't need to have chipscope instantiated in the design to use it for programming.

R

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

R,

I tried using Chipscope to do the programming.  This time, when I turned my Xilinx board on, the cable installed itself as it should have, and the green light next to the JTAG port on the board came on, which was an improvement (though I don't understand how anything was different from previous attempts).  However, I still wasn't able to access the cable through either Chipscope or iMPACT.  I got these messages from Chipscope:

COMMAND: open_platform_usb_cable FREQUENCY=3000000 PORT=USB21
INFO: Started ChipScope host (localhost:50006)
INFO: Successfully opened connection to server: localhost:50006 (localhost/127.0.0.1)
INFO: Connecting to cable (Usb Port - USB21).
INFO: Checking cable driver.
INFO:  Driver file xusb_emb.sys found.
INFO:  Driver version: src=1029, dest=1029.
INFO:  Driver windrvr6.sys version = 8.1.1.0.
INFO:  WinDriver v8.11 Jungo (c) 1997 - 2006 Build Date: Oct 16 2006 X86 32bit SYS 12:35:07, version = 811.
INFO:  Cable PID = 0008.
INFO:  Max current requested during enumeration is 60 mA.
INFO: write cmdbuffer failed 20000015.
INFO: write cmdbuffer failed 20000015.
INFO: Loopback test failed. Sent character = 00, Received character = 00.
INFO: Cable connection failed.
ERROR: Failed to open Xilinx Platform USB Cable. See message(s) above.

I tried incrementing the server host id five times, and was still unable to access the cable.

Then I decided to power down the board and power it up again.  Randomly, I was able to access the cable this time.  Now both Chipscope and iMPACT can use the cable.  This is odd.

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

You got error 'write cmdbuffer failed 20000015.'

I got this same error once I forgot to unplug the USB cable from my laptop. So it was running the whole night trying to write something (I forgot to exit my program as well). In the following day, 'write cmdbuffer failed 20000015.' was reported again and again and I couldn't use the cable any longer. So I just unplugged the cable and let it cool down for one day. After that all was going well.

My understanding is that the USB cable becomes unstable once working for a very long time. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

The 66 MHz clock oscillator, X5, on the ML605 can sometimes be shifted and come in contact with the J40 header.  When this happens the J40 header will be shorted to ground and cause issues with the embedded JTAG circuit.

Work around include:

• Remove the X5 oscillator
  • Bend the J40 away from X5
  • Insert an insulator between J40 and X5

An answer record will be published on this very soon.

ml605_jtag.JPG

------Have you tried typing your question into Google? If not you should before posting.
Too many results? Try adding site:www.xilinx.com
0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

My X5 is solidly in place and not touching J40, so I doubt that's it -- but it does seem to be some kind of intermittent flakiness, rather than something consistent like a driver problem.  Rebooting the board enough times fixes it when it rears its head; sometimes I also have to wiggle the mini USB cable a little bit, so that it makes good contact with the port.

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Have you tried an alternative USB mini cable?

------Have you tried typing your question into Google? If not you should before posting.
Too many results? Try adding site:www.xilinx.com
0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

Yes, I tried swapping the cable I was using for the other one that came with my kit, and that didn't solve the problem.  My suspicion is that it has something to do with the cable plugs not fitting snugly in the USB mini port.

0 Kudos
Visitor
Visitor

My cable never worked so far.

Removing the X5 oscillator doesn't help at all.

0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

Hi,

My cable also stopped working mysteriously!!!

I am having ML605 board. I had been away for a few days. The cable was working fine.

And now it is not working.

What is the solution to this problem.

regards,

rajesh

0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

Hi,

I had opened an ISE command prompt, and run a place & route flow. I hadn't closed it.

It seems that the USB cable was being used by it.

I closed the prompt, and then I was able to see the cable in iMPACT.

regards,

rajesh

0 Kudos