Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Observer
Observer

KC705 KCU105 FMC compatibility

Jump to solution

Hi,

I have a KC705 connected to a custom mezzanine card using both (HPC and LPC) FMC connectors. Now I want to migrate to the KCU105, reusing my FPGA design and custom mezzanine card. As mentioned in [1] the FMC standard allows me to do this by "slightly adjusting the FPGA design". Does anybody know about the exact differences (if any) between the KC705 and KCU105 FMA connectors or maybe Vivado offers some feature to facilitate this kind of design migration from one evaluation board to another?

[1] https://www.xilinx.com/products/boards-and-kits/fmc-cards.html

Florian

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

When migrating from one carrier card to another, there are a number of things to keep in mind.

- Are there the correct number of HPC and LPC headers available for your FMC card?

- Are the FMC headers fully populated?

- Is the VADJ voltage provided by both carrier cards the same, or are adjustments needed?

- Does your custom FMC card have a fully programmed EEPROM on board (programmed according to the IPMI format as defined in the FMC spec)?

The KC705 has a default VADJ of 2.5V.  This board can support a VADJ of 1.8V, 2.5V, or 3.3V.  However, the KCU105 has a default VADJ of 1.8V, and valid values for VADJ on KCU105 are 1.5V and 1.8V.  Therefore, if your custom FMC card requires a VADJ of 2.5V or 3.3V (that were possible with KC705), this won't work with KCU105 as the VADJ provided will either be 1.5V or 1.8V.  If you were using 1.8V all along on the KC705, then there is no problem with VADJ compatibility.

Both the KC705 and KCU105 have one LPC header and one HPC header.  However, there are small differences as to what the LPC or HPC header provide on each of these boards.  There is a direct comparison in the attachment below....the main thing to keep in mind is that KC705 runs GTXs, KCU105 runs GTHs.

Details about FMC compatibility can be found in (Xilinx ANswer 68377) and I think you will find this useful during your migration: https://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/68377.html

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.

View solution in original post

forum_1.png
1 Reply
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

When migrating from one carrier card to another, there are a number of things to keep in mind.

- Are there the correct number of HPC and LPC headers available for your FMC card?

- Are the FMC headers fully populated?

- Is the VADJ voltage provided by both carrier cards the same, or are adjustments needed?

- Does your custom FMC card have a fully programmed EEPROM on board (programmed according to the IPMI format as defined in the FMC spec)?

The KC705 has a default VADJ of 2.5V.  This board can support a VADJ of 1.8V, 2.5V, or 3.3V.  However, the KCU105 has a default VADJ of 1.8V, and valid values for VADJ on KCU105 are 1.5V and 1.8V.  Therefore, if your custom FMC card requires a VADJ of 2.5V or 3.3V (that were possible with KC705), this won't work with KCU105 as the VADJ provided will either be 1.5V or 1.8V.  If you were using 1.8V all along on the KC705, then there is no problem with VADJ compatibility.

Both the KC705 and KCU105 have one LPC header and one HPC header.  However, there are small differences as to what the LPC or HPC header provide on each of these boards.  There is a direct comparison in the attachment below....the main thing to keep in mind is that KC705 runs GTXs, KCU105 runs GTHs.

Details about FMC compatibility can be found in (Xilinx ANswer 68377) and I think you will find this useful during your migration: https://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/68377.html

Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.

View solution in original post

forum_1.png