cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ML506 finicky MAC.

Hello everybody,

I've been working on the ML506 for quite some time now and have been trying to find a solution to this problem with no avail.

Here's what the problem is:  When I turn on the ML506 (for example, to run the built in web server demo), there is no ethernet link established when it is connected via ethernet patch cable to a host comptuer.  None of the enet LED's turn on and my host computer (a 5 year old IBM Thinkpad) shows that there is no ethernet connection.

Here's a cumbersome solution to the problem:  I have a 10 year old 4-port 10Mb Ethernet hub.  If I power this hub and plug the ML506 to one of the hub ports, the board indicates a connection!  If I unplug from the hub and plug it right into my laptop, a connection is established along with a fully working web server demo.

What I'd like to do is eliminate the need to keep plugging the Ethernet patch cable from the ML506 into the hub first and then back into the laptop.  I have tried manually setting the laptop's link speed, enabling/disabling flow control, etc.  Nothing works.  I'm just really stumped and I've noticed nobody else on the forum is having the same problems.

Anybody got a clue as to what the problem could possibly be? I can provide any additional information about the configuration of the board if needed.  Everything is configured to specification from the ML50x getting started tutorial.

Thanks,

Chris.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Reply

Sounds like you might be using the wrong type of ethernet cable.  Make sure you're not flipping a cross-over cable with a standard ethernet cable.  Your hub might have auto-MDIX, but not your laptop network card.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auto-MDIX

0 Kudos