cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

ML506VSX hyperterminal communicate with other device

Dear Xilinx, Is there any way for the Virtex 5 ML506 VSX to communicate with a device using USB port by hyperterminal. We know that the device can communicate with the computer by hyperterminal. We want to control the device at high speed using the FPGA rather than computer, if the FPGA can send data like a hyperterminal. Thank you.
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Instructor
Instructor

We know that the device can communicate with the computer by hyperterminal. We want to control the device at high speed using the FPGA rather than computer, if the FPGA can send data like a hyperterminal.

Hyperterminal is an ASCII terminal program.  In the FPGA (hardware) context, hyperterminal has no meaning.

First questions first:

• The device you are controlling, what interface does it have for the control port?  Serial?  USB peripheral?
  • What "baud rate" or character rate is "high speed" enough for your application?

For example:

• Device being controlled has an async serial port, baud rate is 115Kbits per second
  • FPGA on ML506 does not need to use USB, simple and straightforward serial port will be sufficient.

-- Bob Elkind

SIGNATURE:
README for newbies is here: http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/New-Users-Forum/README-first-Help-for-new-users/td-p/219369

Summary:
1. Read the manual or user guide. Have you read the manual? Can you find the manual?
2. Search the forums (and search the web) for similar topics.
3. Do not post the same question on multiple forums.
4. Do not post a new topic or question on someone else's thread, start a new thread!
5. Students: Copying code is not the same as learning to design.
6 "It does not work" is not a question which can be answered. Provide useful details (with webpage, datasheet links, please).
7. You are not charged extra fees for comments in your code.
8. I am not paid for forum posts. If I write a good post, then I have been good for nothing.
0 Kudos