cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
landylandro

ML507 schematic files on Xilinx web

Hi,

I want to develop a custom Virtex ML507 Board. On Xilinx web, there are schematic files. I'm new on PCB design, I tried to open the ". asc" and  " .pxr" files with Orcad Schematic editor, but it failed.  Also tried with Protel but it failed too. The web said ViewDraw, I'll try to find it. I wonder if some of you guys have any clue about these files, or you just could open web xilinx schematic files...

if yo do, please which editor should I use ?

Thanks,

Orlando.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
mcgett
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

The EDA schematic entry tool that was used to create these files is DxDesigner 2005, but due to the history most users know this as ViewDraw.

------Have you tried typing your question into Google? If not you should before posting.
Too many results? Try adding site:www.xilinx.com
0 Kudos
beckettj
Observer
Observer

My apologies for trying to revive an old thread, but I have a similar inquiry:

We're using the ML605 in place of a first spin board to do early FPGA and software development, which is the whole point of the "targeted design platform" scheme I suppose.

As an OrCad shop, we are evaluating the merit of moving to DxDesigner, if we can cut down the design time of our first Virtex-6 board by using large parts of the existing ml605 design.

The problem is that the supplied schematics and symbols do not include any sort of project file (.proj, .dproj, etc.). A Mentor FAE asserted we would need this to be able to use the supplied data.

The most recent version of the Xilinx-supplied files were obtained from http://www.xilinx.com/products/boards/ml605/reference_designs.htm, but they do not differ from that supplied with the boards.

Is there a way to find out whether the supplied schematics are missing any critical project files or other information? Can we be put in touch with the original designer(s)? We are at this point unable to open any of the schematic pages or symbols.

0 Kudos
mcgett
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

The DxDesigner project is a trivial file.  Here is the entire text:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<projectfile version="1.0" name="ML605_REVD"/>

------Have you tried typing your question into Google? If not you should before posting.
0 Kudos
beckettj
Observer
Observer

So this project file has nothing in it that outlines the actual project format, library directories, etc.? There is a viewdraw.ini file in the provided tree, which has all of that information in it, but I don't understand how that is tied in to the project file. DxDesigner apparently doesn't know either.

I realize these are questions for a Mentor FAE, and we've been engaged with one, but so far no luck. We're evaluating DxDesigner as an alternative to OrCad for this project. If we can save significant time by reusing parts of the ml605 board design, it will probably make the purchase of DxDesigner worth it.

Since I wrote my last post, I tried to use a Cadence-supplied ViewDraw-to-OrCad translator, which gets about half way through the design before it encounters a missing symbol file. My guess is that the symbol is from some standard library that was not part of the original project and thus not saved in that project's tree. According to the Mentor FAE, the project should have been saved in some kind of archive format so that DxDesiger can open it.

We certainly can't be the only project trying to do this. Are there Xilinx folks familiar with the design, or contacts we could make with the person(s) who did the original design?

Cheers

0 Kudos
mcgett
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

> So this project file has nothing in it that outlines the actual project format, library directories, etc.?

Nothing like that in there are all.  The two lines are the entire content.

> Are there Xilinx folks familiar with the design, or contacts we could make with the person(s) who did the original design?

You're talking with one of them now :-)

Everything that you need should be in there, which symbol is missing?  Could you have a mistake in the viewdraw.ini file when you updated the libraries to match your installation?

0 Kudos
eteam00
Instructor
Instructor

> Are there Xilinx folks familiar with the design, or contacts we could make with the person(s) who did the original design?

You're talking with one of them now :-)

So...  Ed....   what are your plans for evenings and weekends for the next 4 weeks?  :)

- Bob Elkind

SIGNATURE:
README for newbies is here: http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/New-Users-Forum/README-first-Help-for-new-users/td-p/219369

Summary:
1. Read the manual or user guide. Have you read the manual? Can you find the manual?
2. Search the forums (and search the web) for similar topics.
3. Do not post the same question on multiple forums.
4. Do not post a new topic or question on someone else's thread, start a new thread!
5. Students: Copying code is not the same as learning to design.
6 "It does not work" is not a question which can be answered. Provide useful details (with webpage, datasheet links, please).
7. You are not charged extra fees for comments in your code.
8. I am not paid for forum posts. If I write a good post, then I have been good for nothing.
0 Kudos
mcgett
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

> So...  Ed....   what are your plans for evenings and weekends for the next 4 weeks?

Well, if this is tied to one of your projects I probably won't be needed at all. :-) 

0 Kudos