UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor stevesantee
Visitor

ML525 Board Question - Power applied but fan not running

A colleague and I are just getting started working with a ML525 board.  We've applied power and apparently loaded designs from the CF card (INIT & DONE LEDs are on, as is the STATUS? LED and the ERR LED is off).  We don't have a UART cable to be able to verify the "Hello, World" build that came with the card.  We have loaded one of our own designs that should turn some of the User LEDs on, but they remain unlit. 

Any help would be appreciated.  Are there any basic steps (jumper settings) that we might have missed to result in no operation?

We do see lots of LEDs on, but none of the user LEDs and not the 5V LED.  We suspect that 5V is required for the fan to run, but why would the rest of the board have power, without 5V?

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: ML525 Board Question - Power applied but fan not running

You said that you applied power.  How did you do this without the 5V rail being active?  Have you verified all of the power supply rails with a DVM?
------Have you tried typing your question into Google? If not you should before posting.
Too many results? Try adding site:www.xilinx.com
0 Kudos
Visitor stevesantee
Visitor

After I wrote the first note, we did verify all of the ML525 board's voltages with a scope.  We applied 5V power with the power "brick" included with the kit.  We didn't see what we believe is the 5V LED lit.  The scope showed all voltages (including 5V) are applied, with the exception of 12 V.  We looked at the schematics and 12 V only goes to the fan.  I was able to see where 12 V is supposed to come in (J27 connector), but didn't see any hardware with the board to connect to that input.  For the time being, we are assuming that the Virtex5 part won't run hot enough to require a fan (or we can use a benchtop fan).

The bigger problem is that our design appears to load (INIT & DONE get lit), but the simple stuff we expect isn't (a couple of User LEDs that should get lit, driven by static outputs in the design, are not getting lit).  We're trying to get Chipscope Pro up now to run the IBERT demo. 

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

The DS13 LED should be lit when 5V is applied and the power switch is activated.

The 12V Fan pin is connected to the ATX Molex Connector J101.  This is a standard hard drive ATX connector and can be used with any ATX power supply. You will need to add a shorting wire between the 24-pin ATX connector power-on pin (Pin 16/green wire)  and GND (Pin 1, 17, 18 or 19/black wire) to get the ATX power supply to turn on.  A thick paper clip that has been cut to 1/2" legs works great for this :-).   ATX Pinout Link

The ATX supply will give you both 12V and 5V so do not have both an ATX supply and the 5V brick connected at the same time. Also, the 12V supply is not switched on the board so the fan will run any time the ATX supply is on.

On your test design, you should check your final design to make sure that the static outputs weren't trimmed from the design as this happens often.  I prefer to connect a switch or button to LED when I am experimenting with simple designs as this avoids any trimming and gives me a definitive result that the design is working.  The other possibility is that LEDs outputs were not properly constrained and ended up on other pins.

------Have you tried typing your question into Google? If not you should before posting.
Too many results? Try adding site:www.xilinx.com
0 Kudos
Visitor stevesantee
Visitor

mcgett:

Thanks for your help.  We initially did have a problem with the tool stripping out the I/O.  (We did have a push button going to a register then to an LED and that was stripped out too).  We changed the MAP options to disable optimization (-u I think it was) and then we saw the I/O not stripped from the design.  Unfortunately, when we got to the lab, the design still didn't work (no LEDs lit).

We then created a tiny design with nothing but the setting of a couple of LEDs in it.  We were able to load that and get it to work.  We're now adding our desired logic to the tiny design to see if we can get that to load.  We're at least confident that we can build an image and load it.  Now we just need to figure out what's wrong with our intended design.

Thanks again.

P.S. We don't care about the fan anymore (it isn't running because we didn't supply 12V power).  It looks to me that it comes in on J27 (from top left corner of ML525 schematics, sheet 9).  That same sheet appears to show J101 as the external VCCINT power source connector (if you need more current than the on-board 1V supply can provide).

0 Kudos