UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor stvnjns
Visitor

ML605 BIST - Only 'IIC EEPROM' test hangs

Jump to solution

Newbie!  I have ML605 board that ONLY fails the IIC EEPROM test.   All other tests seem to work well.

All jumpers have been checked to setup guide.

The Tera Term output - after I press the '5' key (for the IIC EEPROM test is::

Reading SRECORDS from Compact Flash file bist\5.rec:

44502 bytes read from file. SRECORDS at: 0x50100000
Bootloader: Processed (0x)00000384 S-records
Executing program starting at address: 00000000

**     ML605 - IIC EEPROM Test                        **
IIC EEPROM Test:
Writing data to eeprom at 0x80: 000102030405060708090A0B0C0D0E0F

**************    AT this point it hangs - I have left it for 20 minutes and finally hit the SW3 reset -

which brings the board and communication back to life.

This board is brand new - first day running it - so would like to find out if it is bad or just my error.

I have searched the forum for similar problems but without much luck. 

Is it worth attempting to debug or just RMA it?

Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Visitor stvnjns
Visitor

Re: ML605 BIST - Only 'IIC EEPROM' test hangs

Jump to solution

Thanks again for input/suggestions.  As a result of your comments,  finally getting out schematics and then a visual inspection (with magnifying lens!)  - I was able to identify that Pin #8 (VCC!) on U6 was actually missing - a manufacturing defect apparently.  I am now in the process of getting the board RMA's back to Avnet. 

A little surprised that this was not caught prior to shipment . . . 

So I would consider this a closed problem.

Steve

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Professor
Professor

Jump to solution

If you look at page 43 of the ML605 Hardware User's Guide, Figure 1-14 shows the topology of the I2C bus.

As I see it, the only EEPROM would be on an FMC card, so if you don't have such a card installed

it might fail the test.  However I'm not sure if that would make the test just hang.  Normally I2C

masters will sense a NACK condition when a slave is not present.  On the other hand I don't

know how the EEPROM test was written.

-- Gabor

-- Gabor
0 Kudos
Visitor stvnjns
Visitor

Jump to solution

Thanks for the reply.  I was trying to avoid installing software with license key, in case I had to send this thing back.  I have started the install at this point, because I think that I need to do some debugging! Although, as I said, I am pretty much a newbie and debug may take a while to get under control! 

I agree that there are connections that are shown through the FMC connectors to EEPROMs, however, IMHO, there are also connections to onboard EEPROM shown on page #43 as well (e.g. the box with J1 above it).  Additionally, there is a reference to the "8kb EEPROM" feature of the board (item 15 page #8) and again on page #12 - item 15.  It is also on the BOM for the board.

I n the startup guide, the instructions list this test as a valid test - I was not able to find anything that qualified any special conditions for the test, other than the standard BIST setup and jumpers.  Again - all other tests worked fine.. 

I have run these test to verify basic board functionality, so I am a little concerned about shipping damage, although in all honesty, I will probably not use this particular feature.

I also may be completely out in left field! So - input is welcome.

Steve

0 Kudos
Professor
Professor

Jump to solution

Looking back at the diagram I see now that the 8Kb EEPROM is there, just not clearly labeled as such

(U6 - M24C08).  Also the fact that the test hangs rather than giving an error is not good.  One thing that

can cause a hang on the I2C bus is a signal that is continuously driven low - either SDA or SCL or both.

This sort of thing could happen if pullups are not installed, or if one of the attached devices is not

receiving a clock (not an EEPROM, though, they generally only use SCL as a clock) or if a device has

problems with power-on reset.  If you wanted to debug the problem, you could use a scope or even a meter

to check the state on the two lines at one of the resistors.  They should be high when the bus is idle.

-- Gabor

-- Gabor
Visitor stvnjns
Visitor

Jump to solution

Thanks again for input/suggestions.  As a result of your comments,  finally getting out schematics and then a visual inspection (with magnifying lens!)  - I was able to identify that Pin #8 (VCC!) on U6 was actually missing - a manufacturing defect apparently.  I am now in the process of getting the board RMA's back to Avnet. 

A little surprised that this was not caught prior to shipment . . . 

So I would consider this a closed problem.

Steve

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Instructor
Instructor

Jump to solution

It looks like the self-test works!

-- Bob Elkind

SIGNATURE:
README for newbies is here: http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/New-Users-Forum/README-first-Help-for-new-users/td-p/219369

Summary:
1. Read the manual or user guide. Have you read the manual? Can you find the manual?
2. Search the forums (and search the web) for similar topics.
3. Do not post the same question on multiple forums.
4. Do not post a new topic or question on someone else's thread, start a new thread!
5. Students: Copying code is not the same as learning to design.
6 "It does not work" is not a question which can be answered. Provide useful details (with webpage, datasheet links, please).
7. You are not charged extra fees for comments in your code.
8. I am not paid for forum posts. If I write a good post, then I have been good for nothing.
0 Kudos
Professor
Professor

Jump to solution

It looks like the self-test works!

Well... sort of...

I would normally say that a test that provides feedback for test failure (other than just hanging) works.

I2C bus does not define a time-out condition, but all of the processors I've seen that have built-in I2C

interfaces will get a timeout error if the I2C bus hangs (even if the timeout is 1 second).  I would think

that a MicoBlaze program could just as easily have a timeout condition when a peripheral takes too

long to respond.  I suppose the designer of this particular test didn't take this possibility into account.

Normally something like a missing EEPROM would cause the I2C interface to get an address NACK rather

than timing out.  An installed EEPROM with no Vcc connection apparently drags the bus lines low

making it appear busy forever.

Regards,

Gabor

-- Gabor
0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Do you have a case # or RMA # for the board?  If not, I'd like to invite you to file your case with Wordwide Technical Support, who would be more than happy to start the RMA process for you as well.

0 Kudos