UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Observer lingmei
Observer

ML605 System ACE Error LED an BIST tests

Jump to solution

Hi, I have just got a new ML605 Evaluation kit but found problems during the BIST tests, I was wondering if anyone could tell me what are the causes:

1. System ACE Error LED (DS30 on the board, I will call it 'Error LED') is ON. After connecting the USB cable, installing the UART drivers and powering on the board, the Error LED was blinking, which was expected. Then I inserted the CF card, during the process of inserting, I noticed that the Error LED went off first, then went on again when I pushed the CF cart all they way to the end. After that, the LED stayded on. It would go off if I pulled out the CF card to a certain position.  With the Error LED ON and OFF, I ran the tests (UART test, LED test, etc), and got same results. So it seems the status of the Error LED is not making difference to the tests. So what is making the LED on and what problems will it cause?
  2. I ran the tests on the menu displayed by Tera Terminal, most of them were successful but I got stuck on these two:
    • A: Push button test. When it was the turn to push the East Button, the LED did not glow (West and South were fine), and there was no return on Tera Terminal, so I could not continue with the North and Center buttons. I measured the voltage on the 4 pins of the button, for SW5 (North),SW6(South),SW8(West) and SW9(Center), pin 2&3 had voltage of about 0.66V when buttons were not being pushed and 1.5V when being pushed. But for SW7(East), it is always 0.66V. So I think the buttion itself has problem. Should I just replace it?
    • C: System ACE CF test. This test didn't work. After typing 'C', Tera Terminal displayed the following: 

This program attempts to access the CF card's file system
to perform file I/O operations.

Please insert a CF card with the contents of the directory
<ref design install dir>/sw/standalone/testfatfs/required_files/
copied into a directory named test on that CF card.

Warning: This program will attempt to create a file and directory
on the CF card.

File I/O Test Program running.

Then it just stayed there, nothing was returned in an hour so I turned off Tera Terminal and the board. What could be the cause? Since other tests were fine, I think there should be no problem with the files in the CF card (I didn't do anyting to the card). Can it be related to the Error LED problem?

It will be appreciated if anyone can give some suggestions. 

Lingmei 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Observer lingmei
Observer

Re: ML605 System ACE Error LED an BIST tests

Jump to solution

The board definitely has a broken pushbutton, so I returned that one and bought another.

But this new board has exactly the same problem when running the BIST tests except the push button problem. After a little bit digging, I got this problem solved this way:

1. Copy the files in the CF card to PC.
  2. Format the CF card using mkdosfs. Download mkdosfs from this link: http://www1.mager.org/mkdosfs/ , put the files in "C:\", run command "mkdosfs E:" where "E" is the location of the CF card. Files will be gone after running this.
  3. Copy the files back to the CF card.

After doing this, when the CF card was pushed into the card reader on ML605, the Error LED (DS30) went off and the System ACE status LED (DS1)  flashes for several seconds and stayed on.

Then I ran the BIST test and Base Reference Design, all the tests passed.

Note: in the Ethernet loopback test, I still cannot see the message "Transmitted Packet!".

Lingmei

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Newbie ishanejin

Jump to solution
Recently I bought one from Avnet and has the same issue except the push botton issue. I synthesized my other projects and it looks fine.

Hope some Xilinx guru might know the reason.
Observer lingmei
Observer

Jump to solution

Thank you ishanejin, it is a realief that I am not the only one having this problem. If it doesn't mean the board has other issues, it would be fine. I just want to make sure of it before I continue working.

Hope someone could explain what the causes are.

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

hi,

there is a larger sodimm on newer boards of ML605 as mentioned here. http://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/44814.html

so recommendation is to first check if all the interfaces are working as expected.

run the external memory application of BIST to confirm if the memory is working as expected

--hem

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Observer lingmei
Observer

Jump to solution

Hi Hem,

Thanks for your reply.

Mine is the old version with 512Mb sodimm. I ran the BIST and it passed, although it did take about 45min instead of 20 min (stated by the guide) to complete.

I also found that in the Ethernet loop test, I didn't receive the message "Transmitted Packet", Only "Setting Temac and DMA" and "Received Packet!". 

The Base reference design test doesn't work either. The interface cannot find the ML605 board. I have checked all the jumpers, set PC IP to 192.168.1.100, used PC with Windows XP, still it doesn't work.

Can it be the problem of the CF card? For example the code in it is not updated or something. I haven't done anything to it because I am not sure.

On this forum, I have seen people asking questions about some of the problems I have encountered, but not one about all of these at the same time.

Lingmei

0 Kudos
Observer lingmei
Observer

Jump to solution

I also tried to format the CF card, using files in rdf0022.zip and instructions in xtp055.pdf in this link:

http://www.xilinx.com/products/boards/ml605/reference_designs_12.1_archive.htm

but it did not work. Instead, I could not try any of the BIST tests, there were problems with reading .rec files from the CF card. I tried a different CF card and got same problem, so I don't think CF card is to blame. On good thing of doing this is that the Error LED (DS31) went off and System ACE status LED (DS1) came on.

Finally decided to return the board, though I think there might be a solution.

0 Kudos
Observer lingmei
Observer

Jump to solution

The board definitely has a broken pushbutton, so I returned that one and bought another.

But this new board has exactly the same problem when running the BIST tests except the push button problem. After a little bit digging, I got this problem solved this way:

1. Copy the files in the CF card to PC.
  2. Format the CF card using mkdosfs. Download mkdosfs from this link: http://www1.mager.org/mkdosfs/ , put the files in "C:\", run command "mkdosfs E:" where "E" is the location of the CF card. Files will be gone after running this.
  3. Copy the files back to the CF card.

After doing this, when the CF card was pushed into the card reader on ML605, the Error LED (DS30) went off and the System ACE status LED (DS1)  flashes for several seconds and stayed on.

Then I ran the BIST test and Base Reference Design, all the tests passed.

Note: in the Ethernet loopback test, I still cannot see the message "Transmitted Packet!".

Lingmei

0 Kudos