Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

ML605 silicon

Hi all,

I am looking to buy a development board, and the ML605 stands out to me as the perfect choice, however after talking with a sales rep from Avnet, he has recommended for me to buy one of their own virtex 5 boards because the virtex 6's on the ML605 are engineering grade silicon.

Is the engineering grade silicon of a lower grade than what will be used in production?

personally I much prefer the virtex 6 board, and since it includes the software to program the device this seems like a much more sensible option. However what kind of traps could I run into here? Is the board likely to be much less useful than a board loaded with a production grade silicon?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

The ML605 will be populated with ES silicon until the LX240T devices are released to full production.  The ES label indicates that the device is a new product that has not completed all verification, characterization and reliability testing.  This work is quite time intensive and require silicon process "splits" to cover all of the corner cases.

The ES silicon may also have a few additional errata items that will be fixed in the production release, so you should review the errata to ensure that any issues do not effect your designs.

------Have you tried typing your question into Google? If not you should before posting.
Too many results? Try adding site:www.xilinx.com
0 Kudos