UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Contributor
Contributor

Mali graphics performance on Ubuntu

I've booted up one of the Ubuntu example designs on my ZCU102, and am experimenting with the graphics performance.  I found that running glmark2 (the software version) gives a glmark score of 5.  glmark2-es2 (the hardware-accelerated version) shows that the Mali driver is running, but also gives a score of 5.  This is, to put it nicely, a little less than I had hoped for.  Is this lack of performance expected, or is something wrong with my setup or the reference design?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Newbie zhangyifei

Re: Mali graphics performance on Ubuntu

I also have the same problem. Mali GPU's driver is ok, but it seems to have no effect.

Do you solve this problem?

0 Kudos
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Mali graphics performance on Ubuntu

I think the problem has to do with X11/XFCE.  If I run it with the --off-screen option, I get much higher performance (>100fps).  If I run the software version with --off-screen, it still gets about the same performance (~5fps).

Basically, even if the window is accelerated, the window manager/X11/something still has to copy the pixels to the screen, and this happens very slowly.  As far as I can tell, the only solution is to run applications in fullscreen mode without any desktop environment (as is done by the "tricube" demo on the UltraZed), or to use a composited desktop (e.g., compiz or kwin).

0 Kudos