Observer
Observer

Ml 605 SFP speed

Maximum speed of virtex6 gtx is 6.6 Gb/s but in the

http://www.xilinx.com/publications/prod_mktg/ML605_faq.pdf

I found this:

Q: How fast can I operate the SFP?
A: Up to 4 GB

Why the speed of the SFP is limited ? Can i use it on maximum speed ?

Is this recomended speed for SFP (prooving in will work  and higher speed is "use at your own risk") ?

Or it is hardware-limited ?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: Ml 605 SFP speed

> Why the speed of the SFP is limited ? Can i use it on maximum speed ?

How fast is the SFP module that you are planning to use?  What is the vendor and part number?

------Have you tried typing your question into Google? If not you should before posting.
Too many results? Try adding site:www.xilinx.com
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

Not sure about exact part. This is SFP module for 10Gb Ethernet. It can run at speeds from 1 to 11 Gb/s .

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Instructor
Instructor

Q: How fast can I operate the SFP?
A: Up to 4 GB

Does "4GB" mean 4GBytes/sec, or does it mean 4Gbits/sec?  I think Xilinx dropped the ball in the editorial review of this FAQ before publication.

-- Bob Elkind

SIGNATURE:
README for newbies is here: http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/New-Users-Forum/README-first-Help-for-new-users/td-p/219369

Summary:
1. Read the manual or user guide. Have you read the manual? Can you find the manual?
2. Search the forums (and search the web) for similar topics.
3. Do not post the same question on multiple forums.
4. Do not post a new topic or question on someone else's thread, start a new thread!
5. Students: Copying code is not the same as learning to design.
6 "It does not work" is not a question which can be answered. Provide useful details (with webpage, datasheet links, please).
7. You are not charged extra fees for comments in your code.
8. I am not paid for forum posts. If I write a good post, then I have been good for nothing.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

You have to be careful when reading about throughput of buses.  6.6Gb/sec is probably the throughput of the GTX with regard to how fast it can send 1's and 0's down a wire without substantial bit loss.  SFP is a protocol, so when you see 4Gb/sec as a max throughput, it's probably data throughput and that will always be lower than the transceiver throughput because it's data+protocol.  there are frame adn address bits which must be tacked on to the data and it takes away from tht total throughput they list.  I've got the SFP module running at 1.2Gb/s in lab right now with the ML605 board.  I haven't tried cranking it up becuase 1.2 is all I need.  Now you say you've got a 10Gb/s SFP module.  I think I've seen those before and they're actually SFP+, which is a new protocol.  the modules are supposed to be backward compatible with SFP, but you won't get 10Gb out of them if you're using a SFP ip core.  That ends my rambling.  hope it helps.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

I used SFP in previous project with sp605. SFP is a device not a ptococol. I use to send data to the SFP and then i see the same zeroes and ones on the oscilloscope. Absolutely the same zeroes and ones. SFP dont do any data translations and dont add overhead (SFP is not like Ethernet). So if i have 1 Gb/s at the exit of the GTP i will have the same 1Gb/s on the SFP output (but in optic signal).

"SFP ip core" You mean I2C bus to the SFP? i dont need it right now, previous project worked flalessly without it.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

Sorry for the confusion.  around work, everybody calls the controller I'm using an SFPDP controller, but it's actually a Fiber Channel controller that uses a SFP transceiver.

0 Kudos