Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
eslnkc
Visitor
Visitor

New ML605 board Built-In Self Test problems

Jump to solution

Hi,

We are trying to test some ML605 boards (Rev D) that we just received but we have issues with the Built in Self Test (BIST).

The switches are set as follows:

- Switch 1: 

1 OFF

2 OFF

3 OFF

4 ON

=> Enable system ACE controller

- Switch 2:

1 OFF

2 ON

3 ON

4 OFF

5 ON

6 OFF

=> System ACE CF mode

The boards are connected to a PC with a hyperterminal which is already set up correctly.

When we power on the board, we see the BIST that displays in the hyperterminal. the default BIST application is showing a number of possible board tests (UART, FLASH, LEDS etc...).

Any test that we choose gives us the following: "ERROR in SREC line :00000001SREC has invalid checksum".

We think that the problem might come from a board defect or something damaged from the shipment.

Can you confirm that it is a defect or that something is damaged?

Thanks in advance,

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
amandaw
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Please note AR #44814 details the SO-DIMM BOM change and the fixes required for reference designs.

To confirm your board is working properly, please follow the steps detailed in the MIG and BIST Tutorials for 13.4.

13.4 ML605 Reference Designs

If you would like to update the flash contents of your on-board flash and Compact Flash, see the Restoring Flash Contents tutorial.

View solution in original post

19 Replies
afarnet
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi eslnkc,

Jumper S2 seems reverted. It should be 011010 (1 = on, Position 6 → Position 1)

Did you try to program the FPGA with BIST Design (see ML605 BIST PDF,  pag.38 onwards)?

Is the FPGA properly configured (DONE high)?

Do you have another ML605 to use as comparison?

Regards,

a

0 Kudos
eslnkc
Visitor
Visitor

Hi afarnet,

Thanks for your answer.

We didn't try the BIST design as it uses the XMD console in the SDK tool. We would like to use the simplest test that we have which is starting the board with the compact flash without using any tool.

We have 2 other ML605 boards that we already received long time ago (approximately 2 years). These boards were used in our lab for 2 years and when we set the switches as I told you in my first post => Everything works fine and we can see the results of the tests in Hyperterminal.

The DONE led is on when the board starts. It is as we can see in hyperterminal the following:

Choose Feature to Test:

1: UARE Test

2: LED Test 

etc...

That means that the FPGA is programmed.

It blocks and gives us the error message mentioned in the first post after we choose a test.

To investigate more on the Compact flash:

1. We used the new compact flash with the old working ML605 boatrds => it works fine

2. We used the old compact flash in the new received boards => it still doesn't work

=> the compact flash are fine, the problem is with the new received boards 

Last thing we did is to invert the switches as you said => same result, it is not working and we have the SREC checksum error.

We really think that the boards have defects. We just wanted confirmation before returning them.

0 Kudos
jlarkin
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

eslnkc,

If you suspect there is a hardware issue with the board then you will need to open a Webcase with Technical Support for further debugging before discussing the possibility of return.

You can open a Webcase from this page: http://www.xilinx.com/support/clearexpress/websupport.htm

One other suggestion while you are doing this - can you format the CF card and reprogram this with the files?

You can reformat it using (Xilinx Answer 14456).

Then try just loading these files onto the card, with this structure:

Download the appropriate ML605 BIST PDF and Design files (for example for 13.4 C, download the following):

http://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/ml605_13-4.htm

ML605 BIST PDF (13.4 C)

&

ML605 BIST Design Files (13.4 C)

Copy the following onto the CF card from ML605 BIST Design Files (13.4 C) :

From the location C:\ml605\rd0017_BIST_C\ml605_bist\ready_for_download\cf_image

Copy the “bist” folder to the CF card drive 

From the location C:\BIST\ml605\rd0017_BIST_C\ml605_bist\ready_for_download\cf_image\XILINX\cfg0

Copy the “ml605_bist.ace” file to the CF card drive 

Insert the CF card into your ML605 and follow steps in ML605 BIST pdf from page 9 onwards.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
eslnkc
Visitor
Visitor

Hi jlarkin,

We don't need to reformat the compact flash as it works fine with 2 other ML605 boards.

In the previous post we wrote: "

To investigate more on the Compact flash:

1. We used the new compact flash with the old working ML605 boatrds => it works fine

2. We used the old compact flash in the new received boards => it still doesn't work

=> the compact flash are fine, the problem is with the new received boards "

That shows that the problem is not coming from the compact flash.

The compact flash being fine it can only come from the board.

We will open a webcase.

Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos

Hello,

we have exactly the same problem with two ML605 delivered us yesterday.

Connecting the boards to an USB port and launching a serial terminal program we can see the board correctly loads the test design:

** Xilinx Virtex-6 FPGA ML605 Evaluation Kit **
Choose Feature to Test:
1: UART Test
2: LED Test
3: Timer Test
4: FLASH Test
5: IIC Test
6: Ethernet Loopback Test
7: Switch Test
8: External Memory Test
9: System Monitor Test
A: PushButton Test
B: LCD Test
C: System ACE CF Test
D: DVI/VGA Test

Trying to run one of the tests from terminal we obtain the following error (shown for the first test, but we have the same problem for each other test):

Reading SRECORDS from Compact Flash file bist\1.rec:

18726 bytes read from file. SRECORDS at: 0x50100000
ERROR in SREC line: 00000001SREC has invalid checksum.

We tested both boards, and we had the same behaviour.

Using the same compact flash in a third ML605 we already owned (an older one, but with the same board revision code), we don't have any errors in loading the srec file (and the corresponding test pass without faults.)

Althought each board revision is  "ML605 REV D, HW-V6-ML605", we noticed that the old one (which loads correctly the rec files) has the U4 chip labeled as "4197-U4 12.3A", and the new boards (the faulty boards) have the U4 chip labeled as "4197-U4* 12.1". Isn't it strange? 

Could you check which firmware revision is installed in your boards (faulty and functional ones)?

0 Kudos
Thanks in advance,
Pierpaolo Pierozzi
0 Kudos
memset
Contributor
Contributor

"SREC has invalid checksum" may represent the DDR3 problem with SODIMM. What is the SODIMM's part number on the new boards?

Check if the SODIMM on the failing board is the same as on the older ones. Try to use SODIMM from the older board or just refit the SODIMM. Maybe thay are running out of that extremely exotic and long time obsolete 512MB DDR3 SODIMM's.

0 Kudos

Hello,

thanks for answering.

Your hints were very useful, and you were right: the DDR3 modules on the boards are different; on the "old" board we have a 512MB (MT4JSF6464HY-1G1B) module, while on the "new" board we have a 1GB (MT4JSF12864HZ-1G4D1) module.

I swapped the two modules and repeated the test on the new board, successfully. Now I am relieved on the good status of the boards.

Thanks again for helping.

0 Kudos
jklaas
Visitor
Visitor

I have exactly the same syndrom - old board the works fine and 2 new ML605s that do not work.

I swapped the SODIMM and the new boards work.

What are the real requirements for the SODIMM so that I can locally procure replacement memory?

0 Kudos
mcgett
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

The last two posts aren't clear.   Are both of you (jklass and pierpaolo.pierozzi) saying that you receive a ML605 with a 1GB SO-DIMM module that doesn't work with the programmed BIST and prior boards shipped with a 512MB SO-DIMM that does work?   Or did both of you replace the 512MB SO-DIMM that was shipped with the ML605 with with a locally source 1GB SO-DIMM?

------Have you tried typing your question into Google? If not you should before posting.
Too many results? Try adding site:www.xilinx.com
0 Kudos
jklaas
Visitor
Visitor

The new ML605 boards that I received last week has 1GB SODIMMs installed and these boards do not pass the out-of-the-box tests.

I installed a 512MB SODIMM from an older ML605 board on the new board, and the new board passes the tests.

I installed the 1GB SODIMM on the older ML605 and the older board fails the test.

The fault follows the 1GB SODIMM.

0 Kudos

Hello,

the new ML605 board we received were populated with 1GB SODIMM modules, while the "old" ML605 we already have is equipped with a 512MB SODIMM module.

1) The new boards don't pass the test with the 1GB SODIMM module installed (the "original" module),

2) The new boards pass the test with the "old" 512GB SODIMM module installed (taken from the "old" board),

3) The "old" board pass the test with the "old" 512GB SODIMM module installed

4) The "old" board don't pass the test with each 1GB SODIMM module installed (taken from the new boards).

0 Kudos
mcgett
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Thanks for the quick clarification from both of you.  I'm not sure at the moment why this BOM change occured that is obviously breaking the BIST design, but we are looking into it now.

------Have you tried typing your question into Google? If not you should before posting.
Too many results? Try adding site:www.xilinx.com
0 Kudos

Thank you!

0 Kudos
memset
Contributor
Contributor
Are you sure all your new boards are brand new, coming directly from Xilinx?
I believe Rev. D was superseeded by new Rev with Faraday cage around SODIMM. Also, U4 marking as "12.1" tells the board was preloaded with ISE 12.1 BIST and dates back to 2011.

I beleive latest BIST (13.4) is compatible with 1GB SODIMM, but you're loosing all compatibility with any reference designs. If short words, only the BIST will work on 1GB SODIMM and most xapp's and refdeses will fail to function.
0 Kudos
jklaas
Visitor
Visitor

See earlier post from one of the other responders. These "new" boards arrived last week from Avnet and are 12.1 versions. There is no cage around the SODIMM.

My application will not use the SODIMM. I want the BIST to work so that I can do a quick check on the setup when the system has been disassembled for maintenance.

I would like for Xilinx and their distributors to exercise better care so their customers do not waste days figuring out stupid stuff. I would rather do my real job than debug stuff that should work out of the box.

0 Kudos
memset
Contributor
Contributor

Try to replace your 12.1 BIST with a 13.4 BIST available here:

http://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/ml605_13-4.htm

You can use "ML605 Restoring Flash Contents PDF (13.4 C)" files to flash them into ML605, or update your CF card by using "ML605 Restoring CF Flash Content Design Files (13.4 C)".

13.4 BIST should work with 1GB SODIMM. But if you rely on unmodified Xilinx's refdes or xapp for ml605, you'll need to use 512MB SODIMM.

0 Kudos
amandaw
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Please note AR #44814 details the SO-DIMM BOM change and the fixes required for reference designs.

To confirm your board is working properly, please follow the steps detailed in the MIG and BIST Tutorials for 13.4.

13.4 ML605 Reference Designs

If you would like to update the flash contents of your on-board flash and Compact Flash, see the Restoring Flash Contents tutorial.

View solution in original post

rleblanc
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Thanks for the feedback.

We will be updating the appropriate content with our Operations team to ensure proper out of the box experience as this is what we strive for.

Again, if you have any issue please follow AR #44814 as described above.

0 Kudos