Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer

No input to ZCU102 over UART

Jump to solution

I am booting Linux on my ZCU102 and am able to see output over the serial channel, but I cannot input anything. I have tried in both Windows (TeraTerm) and Linux (minicom). I have made sure hardware flow control is turned off. I am worried that it might be a hardware issue, but I would like to try everything possible before resigning myself to that.

I am able to send input over interface 3 (the interface for the MSP430), but both interface 0 and 1 (the ones to the ARM CPU) are not working.

What else can I try? I have tried everything I can think of and nothing on Google has been able to help me so far.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer

Well I don't know what changed, but it seems to be working now. I didn't chage anything or do anything differently. Maybe running the test fixed something under the hood. In any case, this problem is resolved.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Highlighted

Are you trying this on your own design? Have you tried the BIT which uses a uart interface? Below is a link to that tutorial.

https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/boards_and_kits/zcu102/2018_3/xtp428-zcu102-bit-c-2018-3.pdf

Thanks!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Scholar
Scholar

Those UARTs (0 & 1) don't use HW flow control.  Any chance XON/XOFF is messing you up at the terminal end?

-Joe G.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer

Both UART tests passed in the BIT (although the RTC and PING tests fail -- should I be worried about that?) So this rules out a hardware error I suppose?

What else can I try at this point? Is it possible that something is misconfigured in my PS setup in the block design? I didn't change any settings related to the UART but it's still possible I suppose.

@jg_bds: I'm not sure what you mean by XON/XOFF, could you elaborate?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Scholar
Scholar

XON/XOFF is SW/message-based flow control that's supported by some terminal programs. I've encountered situations where such a terminal program gets confused by glitches and/or runts on the incoming data lines, and ends-up in a situation where it thinks it has been asked to stop transmitting by the other end.

If your terminal program supports this, disable it.

-Joe G.

Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer

Well I don't know what changed, but it seems to be working now. I didn't chage anything or do anything differently. Maybe running the test fixed something under the hood. In any case, this problem is resolved.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Scholar
Scholar

Great; glad it worked out. Select your own last post and mark it as the Accepted Solution--to close-out this thread.

-Joe G.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

I landed here after a contorted search. Joe G's comment is pertinent. I had the same issue at first running minicom. No keypress or keyboard recognized. Hardware flow control was the issue. Disable it and you can interact ( via keyboard ) with the console. ( Ctrl-A  Z->O->Serial port setup-F)

0 Kudos