UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Adventurer
Adventurer

No input to ZCU102 over UART

Jump to solution

I am booting Linux on my ZCU102 and am able to see output over the serial channel, but I cannot input anything. I have tried in both Windows (TeraTerm) and Linux (minicom). I have made sure hardware flow control is turned off. I am worried that it might be a hardware issue, but I would like to try everything possible before resigning myself to that.

I am able to send input over interface 3 (the interface for the MSP430), but both interface 0 and 1 (the ones to the ARM CPU) are not working.

What else can I try? I have tried everything I can think of and nothing on Google has been able to help me so far.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

Re: No input to ZCU102 over UART

Jump to solution

Well I don't know what changed, but it seems to be working now. I didn't chage anything or do anything differently. Maybe running the test fixed something under the hood. In any case, this problem is resolved.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies

Jump to solution

Are you trying this on your own design? Have you tried the BIT which uses a uart interface? Below is a link to that tutorial.

https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/boards_and_kits/zcu102/2018_3/xtp428-zcu102-bit-c-2018-3.pdf

Thanks!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Scholar jg_bds
Scholar

Jump to solution

Those UARTs (0 & 1) don't use HW flow control.  Any chance XON/XOFF is messing you up at the terminal end?

-Joe G.

0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

Jump to solution

Both UART tests passed in the BIT (although the RTC and PING tests fail -- should I be worried about that?) So this rules out a hardware error I suppose?

What else can I try at this point? Is it possible that something is misconfigured in my PS setup in the block design? I didn't change any settings related to the UART but it's still possible I suppose.

@jg_bds: I'm not sure what you mean by XON/XOFF, could you elaborate?

0 Kudos
Scholar jg_bds
Scholar

Jump to solution

XON/XOFF is SW/message-based flow control that's supported by some terminal programs. I've encountered situations where such a terminal program gets confused by glitches and/or runts on the incoming data lines, and ends-up in a situation where it thinks it has been asked to stop transmitting by the other end.

If your terminal program supports this, disable it.

-Joe G.

Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

Jump to solution

Well I don't know what changed, but it seems to be working now. I didn't chage anything or do anything differently. Maybe running the test fixed something under the hood. In any case, this problem is resolved.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Scholar jg_bds
Scholar

Jump to solution

Great; glad it worked out. Select your own last post and mark it as the Accepted Solution--to close-out this thread.

-Joe G.

0 Kudos
Contributor
Contributor

Jump to solution

I landed here after a contorted search. Joe G's comment is pertinent. I had the same issue at first running minicom. No keypress or keyboard recognized. Hardware flow control was the issue. Disable it and you can interact ( via keyboard ) with the console. ( Ctrl-A  Z->O->Serial port setup-F)

0 Kudos