UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Newbie l_owen89

PMOD AMP1 Troubleshooting

I've recently purchsaed the PMOD AMP1 module from digilent for use with my Nexys 2.

When I program the demo project (http://www.digilentinc.com/Data/Products/PMOD-AMP1/PmodAMP1_ISE_Demo.zip)

on the headphone output I can barely hear an extremely high pitch tone on the headphone out.

After reading through the source I realised this project is setup for a 100Mhz clock while my board is 50M. I modified the synth.vhd as below:

entity synth is
	port(clk : in std_logic;
		  syn_out : inout std_logic_vector(7 downto 0));
end synth;

architecture Behavioral of synth is

signal sclk : std_logic_vector(10 downto 0);

begin
	process(clk)
		begin 
			if clk'event and clk = '1' then
			-- divide a clock by "10111010101" (1493) which is about the value of 100M/256/261.6
			-- where 100M is the clock frequency on a Nexys3
			-- 256 is the number of points in the sine wave table
			-- 261.6 is the frequency of a middle C
				if sclk = "1011101010" then -- MODIFIED decreased by half for 50Mhz clk (746 is new clock divider)
					--"11111111" is 255 is the maximum point in the sine wave table
					if syn_out < "11111111" then 
						syn_out <= syn_out + 1;
					else
						syn_out <= "00000000";
					end if;
					sclk <= "00000000000";
				else
					sclk <= sclk + 1;
				end if;
			end if;
	end process;

end Behavioral;

And re-programmed however this made absolutely no difference to the faint high pitched tone .

I've tried through speakers incase it was a gain issue, but to no avail. Also adjusting the pot on the PMOD itself.

Just wondering if anyone else has had any experience with this module/board combination?

Unfortunately I don't have access to an oscilliscope so can't see if the intermediate PWN signal is being correctly generated.

I also have the PMOD DA2 but thought I'd start with this as before jumping into the deep(er) end.

Regards,

Lawrence

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Newbie l_owen89

Re: PMOD AMP1 Troubleshooting

Probably worth mentioning I've also replaced the UCF file with the Nexys 2 one and uncommented the relevent nets (CLK, JA<3 - 0>

0 Kudos