Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

Power supply pins - Spartan S3AN Starter kit

Hello,

I'm trying to connect my custom made peripheral board to Spartan 3AN starter kit through 6-pin Accessory header J20.

Peripheral board is simple.. It is a analog acquisition board which is digitally isolated with Analog devices ADum1402 isolator.

Acquisition board is communicating with Spartan 3AN starter kit by 3 wire SPI. Those 3 signals are connected to fpga through Adum1402.

My questions are:

1. Can I connect power supply from 6-pin Accessory header J20 to my peripheral board to power one side of Adum1402?

2. What is the highest current that can be given by power supply pins through 6-pin Accessory header J20?

Thanks in advance,

Vedran

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Highlighted
Scholar
Scholar

Vedran,

Given that the voltages for the board you are adding are the same as the voltages on the FPGA pcb, then at least you can consider powering the board that way.

Next, I would look at the shcematics, and look at what power regulators are used.  Then I would look at the power "brick" that supples the whole board, and see how many watts it is rated at.  Use the power esitimator to estimate the power needed by the FPGA for your design.  Add up all the power needed, and see if exceeds the power supply capability.  If it is even equal to the capability, then don't power it that way.

Austin Lesea
Principal Engineer
Xilinx San Jose
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Instructor
Instructor

Then I would look at the power "brick" that supples the whole board, and see how many watts it is rated at.

Keep in mind that power bricks with greater current capacity might very well be available, if needed.  If this is the case, you will still need to consider the current capacity of the individual voltage regulators on the board.

If you have the time and patience, eBay is a wonderfully diverse and fruitful shopping mart for AC-DC power bricks.

-- Bob Elkind

SIGNATURE:
README for newbies is here: http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/New-Users-Forum/README-first-Help-for-new-users/td-p/219369

Summary:
1. Read the manual or user guide. Have you read the manual? Can you find the manual?
2. Search the forums (and search the web) for similar topics.
3. Do not post the same question on multiple forums.
4. Do not post a new topic or question on someone else's thread, start a new thread!
5. Students: Copying code is not the same as learning to design.
6 "It does not work" is not a question which can be answered. Provide useful details (with webpage, datasheet links, please).
7. You are not charged extra fees for comments in your code.
8. I am not paid for forum posts. If I write a good post, then I have been good for nothing.
0 Kudos