cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Power system of ZCU102 is not good in SD card mode

I received my ZCU102 ES2 REV1.0 about one year ago and passed the BIST as described in xtp426-zcu102-quickstart.pdf then.
However, the INIT_B led turns red sometimes, especially  when I turn on and turn off the board frequently. I have been overlooking the problem for months because the PL parts seems to work well. 
Nowadays, I need to run Petalinux on the board through SD card. As you can see, when I set SW6 to SD card mode, the INIT_B and PS_ERR_OUT leds both turn red and Boot is not successful. It seems to be a problem relating to power supply according to https://forums.xilinx.com/xlnx/board/crawl_message?board.id=XLNXBRD&message.id=14513. What's more, when I set SW6 to QSPI mode, the BIST can't pass either now. BTW, I set SW6 as said in https://china.xilinx.com/support/answers/68682.html.
My questions are:
1. What is the matter with my board? (why the Led turns red several months after I received the board?)
2. How can I fix it?
Looking forward to solutions.

SD.jpg
JTAG.jpg
5 Replies
Highlighted

Hello @ascn,

Please note that if you receive the evaluation board with any issue report to your distributor immediately.

If there is any actual issue with the board; it can be replaced under RMA clause considering its within warranty.

In your case please refer the AR#68386 for board debugging steps.

Please refer first the 1st and 2nd steps to debug the board power issue.

Reprogramming the power controller can be tried once. Please refer AR#66811 for the steps to be followed.

Let us know the results of above debugging steps.

Please go through the reprogramming steps carefully and be aware of the limitations mentioned in the documentation.

Thank you.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Highlighted
Scholar
Scholar

@ascn If you don't have a valid boot SD card, the led DS1 will be red. I just did this test.

Check out the SW6 position too.

(My board is an ES2 like yours)

I had this issue a few months ago (look at my history) and I was going nuts thinking it was power too. Ends up it was a misconfiguration.

vitorian.com --- We do this for fun. Always give kudos. Accept as solution if your question was answered.
I will not answer to personal messages - use the forums instead.
FDEC124C-3DE8-476B-9BE3-0F3319D2D558.JPG
155FA1D1-D2AB-4D2A-B1BE-EC306511BEFB.JPG
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Thanks for your advice @kvasantr. I followed the 1st and 2nd  steps of  AR#68386  and checked the settings of switches and jumpers as defaults. Then I turn on the board and check the status of Leds. The PS_ERR_OUT Led is always red :( while other Leds seem normal. 

As for  AR#66811, because I don't have the PowerTool MAXPOWERTOOL002# USB-to-PMBUS interface dongle by the hand, I can't  conduct the procedure. BTW,  I can't find XTP433 on the official website, maybe it is being modified now.

And I have contacted my distributor, hoping they can help with my problem. Thanks again.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Thanks for your reply @hbucher. My SD card is in my classmates' dormitory now. I will repeat your test as soon as possible and one thing I want to confirm is that "a valid boot SD card"  means "a empty SD card" or  "a SD card that can already boot Petalinux"? Thanks again.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Scholar
Scholar

@ascn No sweat. 

I mean an SD card with a valid BOOT.BIN. It does not matter if it is Linux or standalone.

https://www.xilinx.com/html_docs/xilinx2017_4/SDK_Doc/SDK_tasks/task_creatingabootimage.html

vitorian.com --- We do this for fun. Always give kudos. Accept as solution if your question was answered.
I will not answer to personal messages - use the forums instead.
0 Kudos